What to wear immediately after a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a lot for the tips!

I apologise. I said I'd be wearing a drysuit when I was thinking of a wetsuit (I guess I should watch some more Sesame Street with Ernie and Bert telling me the difference between dry and wet, right and left, and far and near). I won't be wearing a drysuit, that's for sure, as it's not cold enough over here to justify wearing one without taking the drysuit course before. At least that's what I've gathered from all I've read (having no real experience yet).

A large scarf, as suggested, might be a good idea in case I need it. If not, at least it's not the most cumbersome thing to carry around. But I'll probably end up putting my normal clothes over my swimsuit (thanks for the tip on the coat on top of that!). Maybe, if possible, apart from wearing the T-shirt and coat, I can put my jeans on up to my thighs and sit on a towel that can absorb most of the water in my swimsuit while on the boat.

When I was a child I didn't care about this. I came out of the swimming pool, put my clothes on and walked home for thirty minutes without worrying about water dripping all over the place and T-shirts getting stuck to my wet swimming suit. I never caught a single cold. I'm more careful now!

I think if you can master most of the moves shown in the video you don't need the Undress! And I absolutely CAN and do! At the end of the day I manage to get my bra off without anyone seeing what I'm doing (sort of like in Flashdance but not nearly as attractive because I'm not Jennifer Beals!). The real challenge is getting a bra ON. Not a sports bra - I've sworn off those things - if I use them I'll end up needing rotator cuff surgery. Seriously, you need to be double jointed to wear some of those things. I guess I'm not cut out for the Undress. But they really are cute!

Hi Kimela,

I had no idea! When rdk1, Cathy, and I dived with you, I never noticed you performing that trick. You are good at it! As you may recall, I have excellent vision and superbly clear peripheral vision. Never noticed!

cheers,
m²V2

Im that person with the wet bum...I put my shorts, jeans or dress over the top of my bikinis and return home wet but happy. Im normally on liveaboards so I can do a quick shower and throw on a change of clothes but I often just wrap a sarong around my waist if im chilling on deck. I dont do many day boats with 2 dives anymore but if I do then I just dry off and wrap up in a towel or put shorts, sarong on bottom half and a t shirt if its cool. If it's cold I just pull on my jeans and my adrenaline thermal shield...best bit of kit ever. I love it. Im a scruff. Adrenalin Junior 2P Thermo Rash Top Long Sleeve - ADRENALIN

Man here but I feel your pain, I hate being wet when I'm not in the water. My dive shop used to sell these pull over full length terrycloth robes. You would pull it over your head and then pull your arms in and remove your bathing suit, then reinsert your arms through the sleeves and then continue to dry off the parts that were covered by your bathing suit. Then slip your arms back inside and put on your underwear and shorts, the women in our group even managed to put a bra and shirt on under it. Unfortunately the manufacturer stopped selling them but someone must make something similar.

My dive shop used to sell these pull over full length terrycloth robes. You would pull it over your head and then pull your arms in and remove your bathing suit, then reinsert your arms through the sleeves and then continue to dry off the parts that were covered by your bathing suit. Then slip your arms back inside and put on your underwear and shorts, the women in our group even managed to put a bra and shirt on under it. Unfortunately the manufacturer stopped selling them but someone must make something similar.
It's been hours. I can't believe @MAKO Spearguns hasn't responded to this yet :wink:

I'll do it for him: https://www.makospearguns.com/Dive-Surf-Poncho-p/mdsp.htm

Mako Spearguns Dive Surf Poncho

The MAKO Dive/Surf Poncho is the perfect piece of gear for those chilly days on the beach or on the boat.

• Wear it over your wetsuit.
  • Black windproof Microfiber material keeps you warm and dry.
  • Integrated hood and pockets keeps head and hands warm.
  • The perfect change robe for getting in and out of wetsuits.

I've never used (or seen) this, but $35 seems like a more than reasonable price.

It's been hours. I can't believe Mako Spearguns hasn't responded to this yet :wink:

I'll do it for him: https://www.makospearguns.com/Dive-Surf-Poncho-p/mdsp.htm

Mako Spearguns Dive Surf Poncho

The MAKO Dive/Surf Poncho is the perfect piece of gear for those chilly days on the beach or on the boat.

• Wear it over your wetsuit.
    • Black windproof Microfiber material keeps you warm and dry.
    • Integrated hood and pockets keeps head and hands warm.
    • The perfect change robe for getting in and out of wetsuits.
I've never used (or seen) this, but $35 seems like a more than reasonable price.

Oh my gosh I need this in my life. I'm not sure how useful it would be for immediately getting out of a wetsuit, since I at least need a lot of room to get my arms out of the sleeves and whatnot, but changing out of rashguard/swimsuit looks very possible in that.

Maybe growing up in Spain I have a different approach to these type of things.
I learned about modesty in catholic school it only had to do with "doing" the right thing without advertising it. Nothing to do with clothing.
Later in my early 20's moving to the US I suddenly find myself in the country of the free, but couldn't openly change into my bathing suit in the beach.
I don't know how Asians or Africans deal with changing cloths, but Americans are pretty ridiculous when it comes to that. I refuse to hide when changing cloths if people want to see me taking my suit off and putting dry clothes they are welcome. I don't flash my parts in people's faces, but also not gonna fumble with a towel while I try to hide.

Maybe growing up in Spain I have a different approach to these type of things.
I learned about modesty in catholic school it only had to do with "doing" the right thing without advertising it. Nothing to do with clothing.
Later in my early 20's moving to the US I suddenly find myself in the country of the free, but couldn't openly change into my bathing suit in the beach.
I don't know how Asians or Africans deal with changing cloths, but Americans are pretty ridiculous when it comes to that. I refuse to hide when changing cloths if people want to see me taking my suit off and putting dry clothes they are welcome. I don't flash my parts in people's faces, but also not gonna fumble with a towel while I try to hide.
I have lived in the US. my entire life and don't get it myself, I have never understood why we Americans are so ashamed and embarrassed about the human body. I guess we think that if a child sees an adult naked it will poison their minds, No women wants to see another mans junk (except her husbands) and if an adult man sees a nude women he will change into a sex-crazed zombie.

Nappy rash. Sitting with a wet bottom. Miserable. I have so much sympathy with babies. Microfibre camping towel wrapped round your bum area will help dry if you can't slip out of your bottoms. Two piece swimsuits are a must, one-piece are the work of the devil (who was a male and wanted to see women writhing and wriggling either getting out of the swimsuit or suffering from acute nappy rash) Then there is the wet T-shirt grin. You sit there and when you stand up there are two wet boob-blobs that look like eyes, and wet sitting-down crease that looks like a grinning mouth when you stand up. Of course you would expect people to smile back at you!

Night dives tend to be cold when you get back on the surface. I discovered that a simple light fleece top was ideal. Mine got soaking wet in the boat, but as I sat there shivering and being shaken by the boat being driven at high speed back to shore, the water shook/blew out of it and I was warm and dry in minutes.

And one more thing - jeans are a very bad idea. Get some loose pants (long or shorts) made from quick-dry fabric so that you can pull them on without them sticking to your damp legs. Raid the walking/camping gear.

And I am desperate to go diving. But travel is prohibitive at the moment. Just dreaming of nappy rash and damp towels cheers me up - sort of.

Nappy rash. Sitting with a wet bottom. Miserable. I have so much sympathy with babies. Microfibre camping towel wrapped round your bum area will help dry if you can't slip out of your bottoms. Two piece swimsuits are a must, one-piece are the work of the devil (who was a male and wanted to see women writhing and wriggling either getting out of the swimsuit or suffering from acute nappy rash) Then there is the wet T-shirt grin. You sit there and when you stand up there are two wet boob-blobs that look like eyes, and wet sitting-down crease that looks like a grinning mouth when you stand up. Of course you would expect people to smile back at you!

Night dives tend to be cold when you get back on the surface. I discovered that a simple light fleece top was ideal. Mine got soaking wet in the boat, but as I sat there shivering and being shaken by the boat being driven at high speed back to shore, the water shook/blew out of it and I was warm and dry in minutes.

And one more thing - jeans are a very bad idea. Get some loose pants (long or shorts) made from quick-dry fabric so that you can pull them on without them sticking to your damp legs. Raid the walking/camping gear.

And I am desperate to go diving. But travel is prohibitive at the moment. Just dreaming of nappy rash and damp towels cheers me up - sort of.

I like my Chammyz but they are no good to me in the tropics and I don't dive at home anymore.
The new microfiber towels are awesome. I'd might like some pants made out of those

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom