Truck for diving help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first question is do you really need a PU? I have driven two different Toyota PU for 35 years. Both had shells which made them versatile but more recently moved over to a Land Cruiser. Which I like better because then everything is nicely sealed up. Had I been able to afford it at the time my second PU would been a LC. With a LC I can take out seats to have lots of room. I bring this idea up as Forerunner might be reasonable option.

Toyota is a crap truck. But damn do they hold there resale value. Makes for a good choice when you decide that it is a horrible choice but at least you can get a lot of money back out of it.
You've obviously never driven or owned a Hilux.

My first question is do you really need a PU? I have driven two different Toyota PU for 35 years. Both had shells which made them versatile but more recently moved over to a Land Cruiser. Which I like better because then everything is nicely sealed up. Had I been able to afford it at the time my second PU would been a LC. With a LC I can take out seats to have lots of room. I bring this idea up as Forerunner might be reasonable option.

Pickup truck with a locking bed cover or camper shell > *.

You get the security of a SUV (your stuff locked up and away from prying eyes) and you can toss wet and/or nasty stuff back in the bed. I’ve hauled plenty of stuff with my truck that the average person is never going to put in the cab of their vehicle.

A mid-sized truck would be a great daily driver. It avoids the only downside of a full-size truck, which is that they’re too damn big at times.

On a side note...I jump-started my dive buddy’s late model 4Runner with my Ram on our last dive outing.:popcorn:

I had an 80 series LC years ago. My brother had a 60 and a 100 series. For the money...if you can find a 100 series that was well maintained, they’re great vehicles. The only thing that would keep me from buying another LC is the maintenance cost though. Ex. You buy a 2004 100 series...you’re still doing maintenance on a $55k+ vehicle.

The main thing is, with any truck you buy, if you're diving in the sea, be sure to rinse your gear really well before tossing it in the bed. No truck....any brand, will stand up to salt water.

I rinse and hose everything off very well. Pro tip if you have an extended cab or crew cab truck:

- Have lots of bungee cords or some 550/parachute cord on hand.

-String it from side to side and fore and aft in rear passenger area. ex. Garment hooks, headrest posts, “oh ****” handles, etc.

-Hang up dive gear. Crack windows and drive.

By the time I get home from my quarry dives (about 2.5 hours), just about everything is dry or just a bit damp (dry enough that you can hang it up anywhere when you get home and not end up with a puddle).

When I was doing ocean dives down in Florida, that’s what I did. When I was done and heading home, by the time I got to the hotel, everything was completely dry and able to be put in the storage box.

The main thing is, with any truck you buy, if you're diving in the sea, be sure to rinse your gear really well before tossing it in the bed. No truck....any brand, will stand up to salt water.

Getting ready to purchase a new truck, it's come down to the new 2020 Ranger or 2020 Tacoma. Need to buy this weekend and I am worn out researching both. Thoughts from any owners??
Get the Toyota.
I have 279K on my 2002 Tacoma and besides scheduled maintenance it is still running strong.

The new Tacoma’s have a 1/4” thick composite bed.

The new Tacoma’s have a 1/4” thick composite bed.

Yep, I routinely toss salty sailing and diving gear directly on the bed, inside the shell; I'm careful to rinse the chrome bumper off, though.

I heard the new Tacoma's has funky shifting issues. I'm on my way to drive them again.

2021 turbo diesel Jeep Gladiator
Been waiting, waiting, waiting (years) for them to stuff a diesel in the USA Wrangler. Then they come up with Gladiatior and, hmmm maybe. Now I need to wait for the diesel Gladiator ...
Actually, I need to wait until the get it set up with a decent towing capacity, comparable to the gasser. A neutered diesel truck is just sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom