Should I dive in shallow waters without a certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decided to order a DSMB to use while i'm out by myself that way people on top can know where i'm at.
You'll find a torpedo float works much better if you are going to tow it around; less drag. A DSMB is probably the worst choice to mark your location if you are moving around. But I'm sure you'd rather repeat the mistakes others have learned....

The thread had pretty much ended before a second prospective self-taught diver restarted the discussion. This suggests people are finding it via Google search, so we can at least hope our efforts are not wholly in vain.

You'll find a torpedo float works much better if you are going to tow it around; less drag. A DSMB is probably the worst choice to mark your location if you are moving around. But I'm sure you'd rather repeat the mistakes others have learned....

yeah. Your probably right. but i'm going to try it out when i go a little deeper to get some practice deploying it underwater until i'm able to get my buoyancy and hoovering mastered. I don't mind a little drag at the moment especially while i'm practicing. But if it's a hassle, then i'll look into getting a torpedo or other type of SMB

yeah. Your probably right. but i'm going to try it out when i go a little deeper to get some practice deploying it underwater until i'm able to get my buoyancy and hoovering mastered. I don't mind a little drag at the moment especially while i'm practicing. But if it's a hassle, then i'll look into getting a torpedo or other type of SMB
It’s not the blob that creates the drag, but the line. Getting a DSMB deployment wrong from only 5m can still kill you. BSAC teach this skill as part of core training.

It’s not the blob that creates the drag, but the line.
Simple calculations suggest this is not the case. For example, a 3mm by 30m line presents 0.09 m^2 area to the current, whereas a typical DSMB presents perhaps 10cm by 1 m (submerged) or 0.1 m^2 area. In addition, rarely are you towing a 30m long line, and the currents are often stronger near the surface. All together, the line contributes, but is definitely not the sole source of drag.

Old ones, maybe. Current ones, not likely. I guess you are comfortable with violating copyright?

no comment

Back
Top Bottom