IS/WAS this a J Valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crzyfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This Sherwood Valve is on my PST 72. Is it missing the reserve lever? The Left port looks like hex fitting and not threaded but there's some corrosion gunk in it so it's hard to tell. The tank was full when I bought it.

Attachments

• Left port.jpg
    Left port.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 189
NO. J valves typically has a place to attach a metal rod that goes down the side of the tank allowing the diver to pull it when they "feel" low on air.

This Sherwood Valve is on my PST 72. Is it missing the reserve lever? The Left port looks like hex fitting and not threaded but there's some corrosion gunk in it so it's hard to tell. The tank was full when I bought it.
It was a J valve. I have a couple of those that still have the reserve assembly. The non knob end on yours looks to have a plug instead of the J-valve bonnet (common conversion), and the plug seems to have been bored and tapped for an HP hose and then plugged. If you pull the smaller plug, I'll bet it's standard 3/8-24... vintage standard for all hoses, modern HP hoses are 7/16. I have a couple valves with HP ports that I use to dive my vintage double hose regs.

v/r

James

Interesting. I thought it was a J Valve with the reserve mechanism removed but I've never seen one. I also have a Norris (HJ) 72 tank with a complete J Valve (same as James79) that came as a package with the PST 72.

The gentleman I got it from was in his 80's and said he used to use it for abalone diving. He gave me his ab float, lead, and weight belts, too. It came with Dacor backpacks, same as the attached pic. The straps were hard and stiff. It has these cool handles to carry it sideways. If I use it, I'll have to replace the straps and learn to use a horse collar.
vintage-dacor-scuba-diving-tank_1_a5f4a8115a48bae670bcb79a1f44513c.jpg

Agree that it was a J-valve at one time. I have seen them plugged but this is the first I've seen where someone tapped a HP port into the plug. Like @James79 says there are many valves with an HP port built in, but this one seems home-built. Very cool!

Sorry guys. The title is misleading: "Is this a J Valve?" It's not a J valve now but as others have said. it used to be. My bad.

I changed the title to "IS/WAS this a J Valve?"

Attachments

• 00Z0Z_lFHETU0pbx3_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00Z0Z_lFHETU0pbx3_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 00808_97pmfPSR7Nf_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00808_97pmfPSR7Nf_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 00U0U_kwK0dhBIM35_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00U0U_kwK0dhBIM35_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 147
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/