Hello from Tel Aviv

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shana Tova Barak. I dived in Ras Mohammed, Dahab and Nuweibaa (Neviot) in 1978 when the Sinai was (temporarily) part of Israel. Sharm was known as Ofira. We slept on the beaches with string tied to our dive bags and our toes to prevent the locals from stealing stuff from us during the night! The diving was pristine but was definitely secondary to the many Swedish girls that we met in Sharm.

The joke at the time was “Come to Israel and see the pyramids”.

Here’s a picture of my father in 1956.

FAB785B6-59A7-4094-A0EA-B6A31563263E.jpeg

Welcome!

When I first visited Dahab there was nothing there except the Egged bus station, a vacated Bedouin village, and an IDF outpost. We stayed a week and saw no one besides a little Bedouin lady who wanted a couple of bucks per night to sleep on the sand within the walls of her hut, and the bus station lady who gave us water and sold us ice cream bars. Things seem to have changed.

One of the guys in our group was blind as a bat and had giant corrective lenses in his mask, the only one we had along. So the rest of us had to view 1971 Dahab through the edges of the mask. At night the guys in the outpost would send tracer rounds out across the Gulf of Aqaba towards Saudi Arabia.
Getting down to Dahab we had to overnight in Eilat sleeping on the beach. Periodically during the night we would awake because the ground would shake due to charges set off in the water to discourage sapper activities.

Shana Tova Barak. I dived in Ras Mohammed, Dahab and Nuweibaa (Neviot) in 1978 when the Sinai was (temporarily) part of Israel. Sharm was known as Ofira. We slept on the beaches with string tied to our dive bags and our toes to prevent the locals from stealing stuff from us during the night! The diving was pristine but was definitely secondary to the many Swedish girls that we met in Sharm.

View attachment 611274
WOW!
very nice...

Shalom haver!

If you ever need a dive buddy in the area let me know:wink:

We might sneak in a dive tomorrow morning in the Caesera area before the lock down starts again.

Shalom haver!

If you ever need a dive buddy in the area let me know:wink:

We might sneak in a dive tomorrow morning in the Caesera area before the lock down starts again.

Just did Kesaria last week with my doughter but I would love to dive with you. Just had a small operation this morning so I am resting home for a few days. If you plan something later than Rosh Hashana let me know and I will join. Have to stay out of the water for a week.

View attachment 611274

I see your father fought in the Sinai war based on that pin!

Any interesting stories to share?

Just did Kesaria last week with my doughter but I would love to dive with you. Just had a small operation this morning so I am resting home for a few days. If you plan something later than Rosh Hashana let me know and I will join. Have to stay out of the water for a week.
Funny i was also there last week, might have run into you at some point with out even knowing:wink:

We go regularly as long as the conditions allow it, you're welcome to join any time.

החלמה מהירה

View attachment 611274

Was he infantry or paratrooper corp? Or are they one in the same in the Tzahal? I see he has jump wings but the badge on his beret says Chayil Reglym - which means Infantry Corps.

Nice to know there are more members of the tribe out there.

L'shanah Tovah.

-Z

Was he infantry or paratrooper corp? Or are they one in the same in the Tzahal? I see he has jump wings but the badge on his beret says Chayil Reglym - which means Infantry Corps.

Nice to know there are more members of the tribe out there.

L'shanah Tovah.

-Z

Paratroopers (the infantry amongst them) also wear the Chayil Reglym (translated into infantry corp) pin.

He is a paratrooper, a combatant most likley from the 63rd/48th brigade although I could be wrong, things were slightly different back then.

Welcome to the Forum Barak!
You are very fortunate that you get to share the adventure with your kid!
BTW Great pic of your Father!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom