New Diver, First Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tissue loading graph, for a recreational diver, is a great education tool to show how different tissues load an unload over time. Why are NDLs different on repetitive dives. How much nitrogen am I still loaded with from the last dive and being a fast or medium tissue how it plays into a repetitive plan. There is some amusement factor as well, run a really high Oxygen blend and you can surface with the fast tissues undersaturated and actually be taking on Nitrogen at the surface while the slower tissues are giving it up. Instead of blindly giving you a NDL time, you understand where that time comes from.

Thank you both for explaining a bit for me. So entertainment and education aside, does having the tissue compartment graphs actually change anything practical? If I dont plan on doing more than rec diving, and therefore don't need to worry about decompression diving, does having custom GF's help me ?

.......snip.... If I dont plan on doing more than rec diving, and therefore don't need to worry about decompression diving, does having custom GF's help me ?

Practical use to you is a case of you knowing how well you understand the theory and how you dive. Most computers don't have these features and people are getting by just fine, but the uptake of them indicates people see no risk from being informed, and perhaps some risk in being blind.

I think of it like new cars have less and less gauges, but more and more alarms. The ECM knows the engine temperature, but its only going to tell you once you reach a preset threshold and it takes predetermined actions or gives warnings. If you understand the machine you'd rather have the gauge and the alarm, and ideally you'd like to be able to vary the thresholds when required. If you don't understand or care what the gauge is telling you then they add no value to your decision making.

Thank you both for explaining a bit for me. So entertainment and education aside, does having the tissue compartment graphs actually change anything practical? If I dont plan on doing more than rec diving, and therefore don't need to worry about decompression diving, does having custom GF's help me ?
The tissue compartment graphs are worth watching on liveaboard trips, on which you can end up doing 4-5 dives daily for a week or more. You can follow both short and longer term trends as to how much inert gas you have on board. Custom GFs might not help you that much, but having a well documented, non-proprietary algorithm running on your computer, e.g. Buhlmann, is certainly a positive thing.

I am a fresh open water diver doing research on getting my first computer. I am wondering what other people's input on this is. I'm trying to figure out is I should get a "starter" computer like the mares puck pro plus or the deep 6 excursion. Or jump straight up to the shearwater peregrine or atmos mission one. I do like the larger screens due to easy readability however the watch size ones have a certain appeal. Any thoughts?
When I bought my first set of gear including my computer I was too price conscious. Now I'm starting to replace my gear piece by piece as I've gained more experience and a better understanding of what I want in my gear; and I'm still only starting out as a diver. I'm not sure how I could have avoided this without actually diving to learn these things but I wish I had done more research at first and bought gear that would have lasted me as I gained experience. If I had to advise you I'd say don't skimp on a computer...spend the money now or you'll probably have to spend it later to replace what you buy now. I have the Mares Puck Pro. It's adequate and it works but had I known better I would have bought one of the higher end computers that have been mentioned in previous posts. Some of them may seem like overkill for starting out but they'll last for you as you gain experience. I think the main thing is to buy one that makes sense to you when you look at it so you can quickly see what you need to see. The color displays look good to me as I think they would be easier to read. One advantage is when I do finally buy a decent computer I'll be able to use my Puck Pro as a back up computer.

No.

Well, OK, custom GF lets you set the conservatism factor to something other than vendor's preset. That may help you feel warm and fuzzy and in control.

When I bought my first set of gear including my computer I was too price conscious. Now I'm starting to replace my gear piece by piece as I've gained more experience and a better understanding of what I want in my gear; and I'm still only starting out as a diver. I'm not sure how I could have avoided this without actually diving to learn these things but I wish I had done more research at first and bought gear that would have lasted me as I gained experience. If I had to advise you I'd say don't skimp on a computer...spend the money now or you'll probably have to spend it later to replace what you buy now. I have the Mares Puck Pro. It's adequate and it works but had I known better I would have bought one of the higher end computers that have been mentioned in previous posts. Some of them may seem like overkill for starting out but they'll last for you as you gain experience. I think the main thing is to buy one that makes sense to you when you look at it so you can quickly see what you need to see. The color displays look good to me as I think they would be easier to read. One advantage is when I do finally buy a decent computer I'll be able to use my Puck Pro as a back up computer.

Agreed. Buy once, cry once. That is not saying that you have to spend a lot of money to buy good gear. Ex. The mask that I’ve got the bulk of my dives on cost less than half of my first mask.

Its saying that you shouldn’t cheap out and buy something that you don’t REALLY want, just because it’s a cheaper option. There’s nothing wrong with being thrifty. Just don’t be cheap. If you have to wait a bit to buy what you rally want...do that, rather than spend your money on something that you aren’t going to be happy with in a few months.

Agreed. Buy once, cry once. That is not saying that you have to spend a lot of money to buy good gear. Ex. The mask that I’ve got the bulk of my dives on cost less than half of my first mask.

Its saying that you shouldn’t cheap out and buy something that you don’t REALLY want, just because it’s a cheaper option. There’s nothing wrong with being thrifty. Just don’t be cheap. If you have to wait a bit to buy what you rally want...do that, rather than spend your money on something that you aren’t going to be happy with in a few months.
Same for my mask. Found the DGX Ultraview Frameless mask. Depending on which company stamped their name on it you could spend anywhere from $35 up to $135.

Shearwater Peregrine all the way. Just bought it for my wife. $400 brand new including shipping. I wish I could buy it as my first computer. it is super good. 2 year warranty and you don't even have to be an original owner.

Back
Top Bottom