Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not sure I’m clear on what you’re trying to say here. My point at least is it’s easier to control my buoyancy with the suit, because once the auto dump is dialed in, as long as it’s not dumping air, I am neutrally buoyant.

The way you expressed it, it made it sound like you could have "surplus air", which is fine to have dump out when you roll to the right, because (you made it sound like) that wouldn't affect anything. I'm saying that, if you're neutral, all the air in the suit counts. So, if you roll right and some dumps, you're not going to be neutral anymore.

I like to be roll any which way and stay neutral. That is why I turn my exhaust to closed once I get to depth, so that my buoyancy won't change, even if I roll right.

You made it sound like the way you are doing it allows you to roll right with no consequences - when there really are consequences. With a wing for buoyancy, you can say "I am neutrally buoyant" without having to include the caveat "as long as it's not dumping air".

Beyond that, I don't see how anyone could find it easier to control their buoyancy and trim with excess air* running around in a much larger overall space (i.e. in the drysuit) versus a much smaller, fully controlled space (i.e. in the wing). Air in the wing seems much easier to control. It doesn't get out unless you vent it. It can never go into your feet. How can excess air in your suit be easier than that? I like being able to turn on either side, get inverted, or do whatever gymnastics come to mind underwater, without any excessive work to manage the air in my drysuit. Extra air just for buoyancy would run a good chance, if I went completely inverted, of running to my feet and expanding them enough to blow my fins off.

Also, a question: If you never use your wing for buoyancy, how do you know that it's going to work and hold air if something happens to your suit (i.e.a rip in the suit or a seal) and you suddenly need your wing for buoyancy? In a redundant system, I prefer a standard operating procedure that inherently ensures that both systems are working and available. If my SOP is to use one system for comfort and the other for buoyancy, then I will know quickly if either system is not fully operational. OTOH, if my SOP is to only use one system for everything, that really lends itself to eventually having a situation when you don't find out that the redundant system is not fully functional until you actually need it.

I notice the change in buoyancy much more with using a wing vs the suit.

This just sounds like you are more proficient in precise use of your suit inflator than you are with your wing inflator. Maybe the suit inflator simply doesn't have as high a flow rate as the wing inflator. To achieve neutral buoyancy, you have to put the same amount of air somewhere, whether it's the wing or the suit.

Also if you were diving doubles this clearly wouldn’t work.

One more question: Why won't your system work for doubles? You can put enough air in your drysuit to compensate for the negative buoyancy of doubles, right? So, how can it be easier than using your wing for buoyancy with a single tank, but not easier if you're using doubles?

*excess air, in this case, meaning any more air than is needed to simply let the undergarments achieve full loft. If the response is that just enough air to loft the undies is also enough to get neutral, so no air is needed in the wing at all, then I would say that I am skeptical you have enough weight. I.e. skeptical that if you had an emergency and needed to use ALL the gas in your tank, you would be able to hold a 10' stop without corking to the surface. But, I suppose it is possible. If that is the case, then sure, you shouldn't put air in your wing just to put air in your wing. But, what you're saying there is that with an empty wing and the suit just having enough air to be comfortable leaves you neutral, with a full tank. Okay, so, if it's an AL80 and you use it right down to almost empty, it's going to be almost 6# "lighter". How are you going to keep from corking then?

What do you like about the cuff dump? I feel like it would be more useful on the opposing arm, so you could vent on either side if you wanted.
you have the integrated “tech boots”? How do you like them? Also do you already have the kubi dry gloves setup?

Both valves are on the left hand, and if you have good trim just by a simple turn of the hand you empty quickly your suit. Tech boots are very thin I think 5 mm neoprene and sole also thin, more like a sock. And yes I order Kubi dry glove setup

That is an interesting statement. Just for more context, how many dives have you done in a drysuit prior to getting this Seaskin?

I don't know how many dives I have in a dry suit ... I don't count them anymore, from spring 2017 I started with cave dives and the first 2-3 months I used a neoprene suit and then a trilaminate.

Why two dump valves? What would one do that the other doesn't?

For ease of ventilation, my dive profile in cave is like yo-yo, not like in wreck dive.
upload_2020-9-8_22-7-13.png

But each with his preferences, I saw in someone how easily he ventilates his suit I decide chose this option

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-8_22-5-52.png
    upload_2020-9-8_22-5-52.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 45
So, I got my Seaskin order finally, including the stupid bottle of talc that was mainly what was holding it up. Today I got the customs bill from FedEx and although it's not as terrible as some that I have heard of, it's also not great. My main contention with it is that they classified the undergarments as 6112.41.0030 "Women's other swimwear, Syn F, K" and the duty was 24.9%. Wondering what other peoples undergarments were classified as since this made it the highest line item on the whole order ($131 for 4 undergarments). Also, that bottle of talc ended up costing me another $20 in an FDA clearance charge.... grumble.

I ordered a Nova with many options and underwear, shipping is scheduled for November 27.
Thanks to @stuartv for answering my many questions.
My buddy ordered one as well, and another buddy will probably order once she sees our new suits.
Now, hurry up and wait.

Oh man I hope they fix it. I have a suit on order with Neoprene socks as well. I despise drysuit attached boots.

Well, the boot issue ended in the most reasonable way I think, as shipping the suit back to UK from Hong Kong and wait the fix and ship back would have been a PITA... So basically they refunded the rock boots and I can keep them. Not ideal, but my main reason to order the neoprene socks was to avoid any issues with the boots size, but these ones fit just fine. Maybe if comes the time for a replacement, I'll put a turbo boats or socks.

@j0rd1 Do you know what the boots are that were mistakenly installed? Just curious as they do not show as an option when ordering. Can they be inverted for drying like a neoprene sock? Hope you enjoy the new suit!

@j0rd1 Do you know what the boots are that were mistakenly installed? Just curious as they do not show as an option when ordering. Can they be inverted for drying like a neoprene sock? Hope you enjoy the new suit!

Those are the default boots. They don't show as an option because those are what you get if you don't choose an optional upgrade.

No, they cannot be inverted for drying.

Back
Top Bottom