Why the uncomfortable inflexible straps on BP/W and other gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was pondering my kit today. It's been five years since I threaded the one-piece webbing harness through my backplate. I used the very stiff, single-layer nylon strapping that is widely used and recommended for the purpose, and have for five years endured having it cut into my shoulders while carrying my rig to and from dive sites on shore.

Exactly why do we use this stuff? Soft, tubular nylon webbing is available and has more than ample strength. I don't see how there are any safety benefits or practical reasons to use such a stiff material.

Plus the stiff webbing is difficult to make adjustments.

I dont see why more flexible webbing isnt an option.

the soft/flimsy stuff is a little more difficult to get in and out of... Also the resin in the stiff stuff makes for it to potentially last longer. The flimsy stuff also seems to slip a bunch more in hardware.

FWIW - I put "non-floaty" shoulder pads on my rig to reduce "cut in"......

yeah, I'll probably die...

YMMV

I use the medium stiffness stuff so it packs well, the do make simple shoulder pads, I have a set of Zeagle which Velcro on but don’t bother using them.

I was pondering my kit today. It's been five years since I threaded the one-piece webbing harness through my backplate. I used the very stiff, single-layer nylon strapping that is widely used and recommended for the purpose, and have for five years endured having it cut into my shoulders while carrying my rig to and from dive sites on shore.

Exactly why do we use this stuff? Soft, tubular nylon webbing is available and has more than ample strength. I don't see how there are any safety benefits or practical reasons to use such a stiff material.

3 reasons, in reverse order of importance
1. The stiffer webbing makes donning and doffing much easier since the shoulder straps somewhat hold their shape
2. The resin impregnated webbing has a memory which allows slide locks and the harness slots to hold without sliding *think how easy a seatbelt adjuster slides on the thin webbing.
3. MOST importantly for a safety reason. When thin webbing is put under tension, it collapses across the width. This causes point pressure areas at the edges of the webbing and does not allow for it to distribute weight evenly. When carrying gear on the surface, this has the potential to restrict circulation in the shoulders and cause all sorts of issues to the diver. Narrower webbing is less prone to this than wider webbing, but 1" webbing is really uncomfortable. This is a design parameter when we design the webbing for tourniquets and all sorts of other things, but this is ultimately the most important reason why you need/want to use the thicker webbing for the main part of the harness. The crotch strap is a different story and some people choose to use seatbelt style webbing but that only serves to give you a wedgie at the surface so I use the same webbing.

If the really stiff edges of the webbing are cutting/chafing because you're bareback, then put a neoprene sleeve on there to reduce the abrasion, but going to softer webbing will only cause you more problems.

The soft stuff slips in the plate and doesn't hold your adjustment well. It also doesn't hold its shape so is less convenient to don and doff.

Try the stuff Halcyon sells. Stiff enough to get into easily, but still comfortable, even in a T-shirt.

Back
Top Bottom