Should I dive in shallow waters without a certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are going about this all wrong. If you are only going down 10', then there really is no reason for donning the SCUBA gear. You should snorkel at the surface, and dive down when you want to get a closer look.

This!

I have a nice reef about 200 yards offshore from where I live part of the year. Depth is 11' , and while I could dive it, I actually prefer to snorkel it and dive down if I see something interesting like a sleeping nurse shark or an eel hiding in the nooks. I'm even able to get half decent photos from the surface using ambient light.

You start with a wrong concept: "Tho someday i might get my certification if I need it".
The training you get during the OW course is NOT for being certified, is for being SAFE. The card is just a proof that you did reach the level of self-control and knowledge which make you able to dive safely (in shallow water, of course, for an OW cert).
You must proof to be safe primarily to yourself, and then to your beloved ones. Proofing it to the shop renting you equipment should be the last of your concerns...
So you do NOT need a certification. You need to be safe, and you need it just now. The money you give to your instructor should not be seen as the fee for getting the card, it should be seen as a good investment for protecting your life.
Unfortunately I see this approach every day with my students (I teach at the University). They think that the goal of studying is to pass the exam, possibly with a good score. They do not think that in reality the goal is to LEARN, and the score and the exam are just tools for stimulating the learning process...
People confuse tools and goals, it happens frequently, and it is happening also to you. So I invite you to reassess your priorities and to focus on what really matters in your life.
Bravo. Most of the time you will be with an instructor who will do things right and make you a safe diver. Only the shops and charter boats care about your certification. Reminds me of threads where people mention that some people may fake their log books for entering a class, boat, or some other reason. Why would anyone do this when the only thing really important is being safe doing a hobby that can kill you.

I still stand by my rule for other stuff besides scuba. Getting a super high mark on the exam, winning awards, being near the top of the class-- that's what really counts!
I'm SORT OF being tongue and cheek, because that was my attitude in school until I hit the Chemistry table of elements, decided to go into music, and ditched my old ideas (then my overall average fell to about 90%). Amazing, considering I'm not very smart.........
So, play the system if you like, but don't fool around with scuba.

Hello Tyler! Getting certified is ALOT cheaper then getting your own gear! Even if you get everything 2nd hand.
I would defenitly go for the OW first!

I did my OW 16 years ago, went for a dive every time I had money / felt like it afterwards.
Finally after 16 years I have the money and commitment to progress. Finally bought my own gear, got my AOW, EANx and signed up for Deep Diver :D

I appreciate the input and concern. And I know how deadly and dangerous scuba can be, which is why i'm super cautious. Taking the class where i live takes a bit of scheduling and traveling and it's not something that i can do at the moment. But it's something i'm planning on doing in the future for rest of my family so they can learn scuba to go on a diving vacation somewhere. I'm a quick learner so i'm not so much worried about myself, but since i am learning underwater i take everything i do seriously and go slow.

I've only been on 3 dives so far, but i'll check out the rescue diver manual. Right now i'm still getting a feel on my buoyancy while swimming, but i'm starting to get it. Yesterday i went to the lake at a spot called muddy flats..... where 2 big rivers drain into the lake so the visibility was only 2-3", so it was more diving by feel, but it was good practice.

I appreciate the input and concern. And I know how deadly and dangerous scuba can be, which is why i'm super cautious. Taking the class where i live takes a bit of scheduling and traveling and it's not something that i can do at the moment. But it's something i'm planning on doing in the future for rest of my family so they can learn scuba to go on a diving vacation somewhere. I'm a quick learner so i'm not so much worried about myself, but since i am learning underwater i take everything i do seriously and go slow.

I've only been on 3 dives so far, but i'll check out the rescue diver manual. Right now i'm still getting a feel on my buoyancy while swimming, but i'm starting to get it. Yesterday i went to the lake at a spot called muddy flats..... where 2 big rivers drain into the lake so the visibility was only 2-3", so it was more diving by feel, but it was good practice.
You're just screwing with us right? Because it sounds like you have been out in open water all of three times, entirely by yourself, with no experienced buddy or guide, and you're just hoping to come back alive. No matter how many videos I watched or books I read, I certainly wouldn't jump out of an airplane without having a qualified instructor demonstrate and do it with me. Would you? Why take that risk with scuba?

Somebody said earlier, you don't know what you don't know. Of course, you also never know when you end up in the Passings forum.

No. I'm not screwing with anyone. i don't currently have a dive buddy, but will by the spring. So far all of my dives have been in a semi controlled environment. The first two times i've had people in the water on the surface with a hookah setup that could have reached me if needed. And yesterday was my 3rd dive, and i had people in the water, but no hookah, but yesterday was special because it was shallow and no obstacles, but zero visibility. And that was for navigational and buoyancy practice.

But before that i studied from online courses and did a little reading for about 2 months while i got my compressor and equipment together. And after that i spent about 2 hours swimming along the bottom of the pool with my hookah learning how to breathe comfortably. And then i had about 4 hours in the pool with my gear and getting balanced before i finally jumped off the boat. but so far i've kept it above 15 foot until i done with my buoyancy technique, and then i'll be going deeper.

No. I'm not screwing with anyone. i don't currently have a dive buddy, but will by the spring. So far all of my dives have been in a semi controlled environment. The first two times i've had people in the water on the surface with a hookah setup that could have reached me if needed. And yesterday was my 3rd dive, and i had people in the water, but no hookah, but yesterday was special because it was shallow and no obstacles, but zero visibility. And that was for navigational and buoyancy practice.
Ok. You are going to do what you are going to do. Many responses to the original post, and I believe pretty much all have advised against it.

You are kidding yourself if you think the people up top would have been much help. If you got yourself in a real emergency, it’s doubtful they would have noticed right away.

And you are also adding zero visibility to the mix. Shallow just means your dive Tim is limited by gas supply. Have an entanglement, and/or gear problem preventing you from reaching the surface, and the result is the same.

But, you seem to have convinced yourself that you are safe, even though what you say says otherwise, so I guess you’ll do what you will.

Good morning (here anyway).

If you do a good search you can find most PADI manuels in PDF in the depths of the internet :).
I did this for my refresher a while ago!

Ok so you go solo diving without any certification?
This is the fastest way into the passing forum.

You might feel condident. But in case of an emergency you are not trained.

And as others said:
You dont know what you dont know.
There are many things to consider while diving. You might do all the things right you read about. But there will be stuff you never read or heard about.

And there is a reason why solo diving is considered dangerous.
Beginners, especially ones without and certification should not solo dive.

If everything is so easy. Why is the whole world taking classes?
And why are there accidents and deaths?

The main cause of death is diving without proper training (for this dive) and solo diving. Think about it.

If everything goes right, Its easy to dive.
Every diver can solo dive. I mean its the same with or without a buddy.
Its all fine until something goes wrong..
And its only the matter of time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom