Has anyone dived great barrier reef from Cairns recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luk

Registered
Reaction score
How was it? what did you see?
I'm debating if it's worth going this month (Sep) or early Oct.
Thanks!

No reason it would not be okay. No cyclones recently.

It’s been a while for us (5 years), but if you can afford it do a liveabord. The day bit sites we hit the first day of the trip were not nearly as nice as the somewhat farther afield ribbon reefs...

I have a thread that I have been updating in Cairns trips and also updated on our website what trips are running.

www.aquaprodive.com

Only Reef Encounter is constantly running as an overnight boat with Scubapro (Pro dive) running weekends only.

Most day trips running but still reduced scheduling.

Sept and Oct are best months of the year by far. Glassed out seas and perfect temperatures with no humidity.

More will be running over school holidays but still a good selection to choose from.

I am a local so PM if you want more details

Anyone have any advice in terms of drive boats/companies to dive the reef from Cairns?

Still updating on our site so check there.

Everything still reduced scheduled but all running.

Anyone have any advice in terms of drive boats/companies to dive the reef from Cairns?

I did the Spoilsport (Mike Ball) 4-night Minke Whale Expedition in June/July 2019:
- Minke whales (snorkeling but could be seen from below on one of the dives) everyday for several hours, with a peak of 16 at the same time - Dr Alastair Birtles from James Cook University, who studies minke whales was on the boat (as far as I got, there is always someone from his team in these minke whale liveaboards in June/July) and gave us presentations after dinner on the minkes and the behaviours we had observed.
- Sharks on both night dives, specially at Challenger's Bay (several white tip reef sharks and at least one grey reef shark);
- Turtles on almost every dive;
- Large potato cods in Cod Hole as expected (and a white tip reef shark).

I did the Spoilsport (Mike Ball) 4-night Minke Whale Expedition in June/July 2019:
- Minke whales (snorkeling but could be seen from below on one of the dives) everyday for several hours, with a peak of 16 at the same time - Dr Alastair Birtles from James Cook University, who studies minke whales was on the boat (as far as I got, there is always someone from his team in these minke whale liveaboards in June/July) and gave us presentations after dinner on the minkes and the behaviours we had observed.
- Sharks on both night dives, specially at Challenger's Bay (several white tip reef sharks and at least one grey reef shark);
- Turtles on almost every dive;
- Large potato cods in Cod Hole as expected (and a white tip reef shark).
Good trip? We're thinking of doing it later this year - not the minke whale one, but one of his other shorter ones

The further you can go out from the coast, the better the dives will be. But the cost will be substantially more, but most people would agree it's worth it if you can afford it.

We did divers den since we just didn't have the funds. This was 2 years ago. It was some pretty good diving, but won't be as amazing as the Mike Ball posted above.

Also if your going to that part of australia, I highly recommend you dive the SS Yongala. You'll have to drive out to Ayre, but best wreck I've ever dived (based on animals). It's a real choppy ride and current is strong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom