DrySuit Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ellisj501

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well, i'm chuffed to bits, I passed my open water over the weekend. I'm already getting my gear sorted out now so I can get in the water again as soon as possible.

Whilst we were in lock down, I got myself a drysuit off ebay, looks clean, only one issue is the boots / socks have a leak.

I went online and found a company that repairs drysuits, but I also found on Amazon a kit for around £6.00 to do it myself.

Whats the best way to tackle this, should I try and repair it myself or is it worth just paying the extra money and having it properly repaired.

Cheers

John

Probably start with a real thorough leak test. There are a variety of ways people on here like to do it. If it’s only that one leak - great. Whenever you know exactly where the leak is - clean the inside with solvent and smear on some aquaseal as suggested. I would want to ensure I had identified all the leaks and fix them at one time.

Also I think you are not supposed to repair the parts which were glued by the manufacturer with aqua seal as it will make it hard to replace that bit.

i.e. if you have a hole in a boot it’s fine to repair it.

if the glue has come off a bit, you should ask the manufacturer what they recommend to replace the glued bit

(correct me if I am wrong, that’s what I have been told or read from another thread)

Hi All,

Well, i'm chuffed to bits, I passed my open water over the weekend. I'm already getting my gear sorted out now so I can get in the water again as soon as possible.

Whilst we were in lock down, I got myself a drysuit off ebay, looks clean, only one issue is the boots / socks have a leak.

I went online and found a company that repairs drysuits, but I also found on Amazon a kit for around £6.00 to do it myself.

Whats the best way to tackle this, should I try and repair it myself or is it worth just paying the extra money and having it properly repaired.

Cheers

John
I’ve just taken my suit to Otter in Branford to get pressure tested as I got a leak in the seam on the left shoulder. A straight forward hole I would fix like a tyre puncher, but seam leaks are a nightmare - the actual leak maybe inches away from where your getting wet.

It’s not that expensive to get a new pair of boots fitted, any competent dive shop should be able to do it. I used Aquatron In Glasgow the last time.

Probably start with a real thorough leak test. There are a variety of ways people on here like to do it. If it’s only that one leak - great. Whenever you know exactly where the leak is - clean the inside with solvent and smear on some aquaseal as suggested. I would want to ensure I had identified all the leaks and fix them at one time.

Not sure you could call it a conventional thorough leak test but I did get the drysuit on and jump in the paddling pool lol, was deffo just a leak in the boots lol

Thanks again for the advise everyone, the leak isn't coming from the seals, just the cracked boots, so I will get some of the aquaseal and get the repair done.

Thanks again

John

I’ve just taken my suit to Otter in Branford to get pressure tested as I got a leak in the seam on the left shoulder. A straight forward hole I would fix like a tyre puncher, but seam leaks are a nightmare - the actual leak maybe inches away from where your getting wet.

It’s not that expensive to get a new pair of boots fitted, any competent dive shop should be able to do it. I used Aquatron In Glasgow the last time.

Cheers dude, I will have a go at fixing it, but as everyone has said if it seems beyond repair or too close to the seals, I will get it sent off and the boots replaced.

When I got in the paddling pool, the suit actually held air inside it really well and I was dry everywhere else, so it should hopefully be straight forward.

Cheers dude, I will have a go at fixing it, but as everyone has said if it seems beyond repair or too close to the seals, I will get it sent off and the boots replaced.

When I got in the paddling pool, the suit actually held air inside it really well and I was dry everywhere else, so it should hopefully be straight forward.
The best way to find leaks is to plug the neck and wrists with something then connect the inflate hose and pump it up. Then spray on water with washing up liquid in so you see the bubbles. Mark the spot with chalk so you can find it when the suit is dry.

The best way to find leaks is to plug the neck and wrists with something then connect the inflate hose and pump it up. Then spray on water with washing up liquid in so you see the bubbles. Mark the spot with chalk so you can find it when the suit is dry.
best way i found to plug the suit to test it is use water or soda bottles, fill with water and freeze them. put them in the wrist seals, maybe a wrap or two of masking tape. for the neck seal, use a 2 litre soda bottle full of water and frozen, a bleach bottle works on a larger neck seal

Back
Top Bottom