Snacking Between Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't help much, I've been told I have the stomach of a dog, so pretty much anything works for me.

The amount of snack seems makes a difference and any hint of acid reflux will be made worse with horizontal trim.

Cantaloupe and cliff bars for me, with a thermos of hot black tea and a thermos of cold tea so I'm prepped no matter how I'm feeling.

So how about snacking during dives?

For 2+ hour long dives, I’ve got a 500mL soft flask. I burp the air out and it has a twist valve to account for Boyle’s Law. It stows in a narrow spare mask pocket between my right waist D-ring and BP. I’m still experimenting with additives. A diluted gel seems too light and Perpetuem seems like inappropriate fuel for the light exercise of diving. Muscle Milk may be effective. But the idea is to maintain pre-dive hydration and take in some nutrition so I don’t get irritable or impatient towards the end of the dive.

The dive boats I generally use off the UAE east coast provide bananas and add water melon in the summer.

The "No Bananas" may have derived from the fact that when ripening bananas emit ethylene which also accelerates the ripening of other fruits, so this ban on bananas may be linked to ships' captains not wanting to take on bananas as freight if they had other fruits onboard. However as ethylene gas is flammable, perhaps that is the reason as I can imagine some deckhand wandering into a hold full of bananas back in the past with a ciggie hanging out of his mouth and WOOF …. he turned into a dog :eek:

Back on topic;
Plenty of fluids is generally my go to, generally water and at least one isotonic drink (500ml) along with a banana/apple/other fruit during a morning two tank trip with a one hour SI.

On tech dives I've eaten a banana during deco as well as drinking isotonic liquids.

Can't help much, I've been told I have the stomach of a dog, so pretty much anything works for me.

Glad to know there is someone else out there like this. I would eat biscuits and gravy in heavy seas if I could.

I seem to forget about it though and don't think to say anything to others when I see them eating something that might not be advised....Case in point my niece who I had just certified the day before. We had spaghetti the night before and I saw her eating the leftovers the next morning before we headed for the boat. My only thought was "damn I wish I had gotten to it first".
The next 5 hours can best be described as lumps, bumps, and spaghetti chunks for her though.

So I am going to preface this with "I am not a diver yet". However, I am an avid cyclist and do understand what we call bonking (basically running out of fuel), especially on long rides. I wanted to toss this out there because I think that they might be a cool thing to take along and snack on between dives. There is a cookbook by Sktrach Labs called Feedzone Portables. These are some great recopies that offer up some carbs and other nutrients that will help get your energy levels back up.

Feed Zone Portables with FREE Skratch Paper

I have this book and my wife and I both use them on longer rides to tank up while riding. They really do help... Again, I am not a diver yet, so I might be out of line, but I can't imagine them not being good for this as well.

(Didn't read all 5 pages - sorry)

I find that if I eat too much, or the 'wrong' thing between dives I will get heartburn on the second dive. I guess it's the added pressure on my system and I already have stomach issues. A boat I was on had ginger chews - not the ones that are individually wrapped - they were a big bag they'd gotten at Costco. They were great for settling my stomach. Probably the easiest on my stomach is those little packages of crackers with cheese and some water. NO chocolate. As much as I love it, it will absolutely make my heartburn flare up during a dive. I save the chocolate for after the second dive.

Plastic jar of un-salted peanuts...................(cheap from Aldi )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom