HOG D3/Zenith vs APEKS DST/XTX50 for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alekath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any advice on the difference between a HOG D3 with Zenith second and the Apeks DST (5th port) with xtx50 second?

Can pick up a set of
- HOG regs for $1,300 AUD
- Apeks regs for $1,600 AUD

Wondering if I should bother paying the extra 300 for the Apeks regs. Any advice or better prices in Aus would be great.

I have no direct experience with either but know folks who have both the regulator sets you list...they each have strong following and have not hear any comment that would indicate buyers remorse or disappointment with the regs.

The question you should ask is which will be easier to have serviced where you live/plan to dive. Apeks is owned by Aqualung which has a broad network of dealers/service centers around the world. Also, if you plan to service your regs yourself, you should factor that in to the rational calculus of you choice too. HOG has great customer service and they make their service parts kits available for owners, and they offer training courses for service/repair too. Aqualung/Apeks do not specifically make their service kits available outside of their certified shops/service centers but some shops, depending on where you are located, will sell them to you.

So the decision should be based on ease of obtaining service and if self-service is desired then the ease of obtaining parts.

I don't think you would be unhappy with either.

As an aside, I am weighing the decision of purchasing a couple sets of HOG regulators...my pair of old Mares Abyss/MR22 regs are due for preventative maintenance service, I don't have time right now to do it myself, and the cost to have them serviced would be more than I paid for them. I was considering Deep 6 but have decided on HOG if the family comptroller (my wife) authorizes the purchase...so HOG would be my vote.

-Z

With the HOGs:
- If you don't need the extended turret, check out the D1Xs. Same form as the DST. I have the D1s (earlier chrome versions of the D1X) and D3s. I think the D1s are better for doubles (back-mount at least I have not done side-mount) as the are a bit more compact and the ability to rotate the turret without hose interference while mounted really doesn't matter.
- If you don't need the fancier faceplate, consider the Classic 2nds vs. The Zeniths. I believe the internals are now all the same (with the possible exception of the diaphragm) and the colored purge covers are 1/3 the price and can be switched by just unscrewing the trim ring, instead of disassembling the front cover assembly of the zenith with screws.

Combined that is probably a US $100+ savings per set (1st and 2nd).

Are you purchasing locally or mail-order from the US?

If from the US:
- Check out https://www.piranhadivemfg.com for the HOGs.
- If you like the D3 form and will self-service, consider the Signature regs from Deep 6 Gear. Essentially a D3 with improved coatings, internal materials, and poppet design for slightly better performance. Service kits are included in the price (and first service if you ship them back.)

the biggest one for me is that the DST doesn't come with the bottom ports as standard which is ridiculous. That is the important port IMO when diving doubles so if you have to pay that much more for it, then I'd look at the HOG more seriously.
I think the Deep6 Signature are a measurable improvement over the HOG though and if those are priced comparably then I would go with those.

the biggest one for me is that the DST doesn't come with the bottom ports as standard which is ridiculous. That is the important port IMO when diving doubles so if you have to pay that much more for it, then I'd look at the HOG more seriously.
I think the Deep6 Signature are a measurable improvement over the HOG though and if those are priced comparably then I would go with those.

DST is with the bottom port, made sure for better hose routing. I am leaning towards the Apeks as they are a common brand here. HOG is rare but not uncommon and unable to find a supplier of Deep6 in Australia.

DST is with the bottom port, made sure for better hose routing. I am leaning towards the Apeks as they are a common brand here. HOG is rare but not uncommon and unable to find a supplier of Deep6 in Australia.

if DST includes the bottom port I would just go with those. The D3/Zenith are arguably better performing regulators, but that's on paper and is not something you'd ever notice in the real world * think a car that has 0-60 in 6.1 seconds vs 6.2 seconds, sure it's there but only the computers will find it* and certainly not worth the hassle of dealing with lack of commonality to your area. Apeks is the easy answer to that.

I dive the hog set and love them. Never dove the apex so cant say much. I agree with the above statement that the decision should be based on availability of getting them serviced.

Getting down into the nitty gritty of this, are there any meaningful differences in materials or design variations in these very similar regs? For example, does one have higher quality seats than the other? Or corrosion resistance long term?

Are the Apeks regs still manufactured in the UK? If so that's a big bonus in my book. I think anyone who has the ability should be willing to pay a little extra for products manufactured in places with decent labor and environmental regulations on factories.

Apeks FSR 1 st stage has replaceable seat(ARCAP).

Apeks FSR 1 st stage has replaceable seat(ARCAP).
Yes, but the hose routing is sub-optimal. If you gave me a set I'd use them, but I wouldn't buy them when there are much tidier options available.

............................HOG is rare but not uncommon and unable to find a supplier of Deep6 in Australia.

I think Perth might have a HOG dealer, but not sure. Someone over there was offering the TDI HOG servicing course. With Deep6 I recall a post here where someone was able to get a set in Melbourne. Maybe they went direct to Deep6 in the USA, the boss is on Scubaboard somewhere. I was very keen on the Signature, emailed Deep6 and got no reply. The clock was ticking so ended up buying a ScubaForce SM reg set from my LDS.

XTX50 and 5th port DST 1st stage with DIN, for $1600, that is as a good of a price as you will get. When I bought my regs the XTX50 sets were $2100 with specials at $1850. Does it come with one or two or no SPGs at that price? I don't know anyone that has been disappointed by Apeks, I own two DS4s, but I've only seen Tek3s at the price you have.

Back
Top Bottom