Suggested CCR Reading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

89edfe6d815a7340ed1e7dd529584e85a54cd212.jpg

I have Heinerth's basics of rebreather, it's OK for an intro and overall ideas. I thought it was worth the $$.

Diving a ccr doesnt require a book, years of scuba experience, or anything else. You need a will to learn the basic parts of it and the honesty to see if it fits you...Pick a good instructor or a bad one. Pick a good unit or a bad one... Its a hell of a lot of fun learning

I honestly wouldnt read a damn thing on here or any where else that I would trust about diving a ccr. Its really not that hard, you just need to ignore other peoples crap. A ccr is a handicap if anything and a ferrari at the same time.

You need to decide on an instructor and take a class. Reading a book and showing up as an expert just is counter productive.

You need to decide on an instructor and take a class. Reading a book and showing up as an expert just is counter productive.
I will counter that with...
Find an instructor and ask what there reading material is. Also inquire on prerequisites. A really good Nitrox class, probably advanced Nitrox will needed since you will be breathing it and need to understand what you are breathing.

The forums are horribly biased with opinions over facts. That is a fact posted in a forum.

Rebreatherworld is a great resource that might not be there much longer. Having friends who dive a rebreather is also a great resource, but only if they are critical thinkers and have put some thought into it. If they aren't then it can be counter productive compared to your instructors teaching, but we've also seen that some instructors don't have the best education, either.

I dove with people using rebreathers for years before making the plunge myself. It's great, I love it, but after a decade of diving with a camera in my hand for almost literally every dive, I am still not confident diving well, diving safely, and diving with a camera in my hands on a rebreather. In a cave with a bit of up and down profile, silty floor, low clearance, I have to focus my energy on diving well and safely, and leave the camera on land. A gopro however is not an issue.

The Bozanic book (Jeff Bozanic - Mastering Rebreathers) is still a good reference even though it's dated. While it won't cover some of the latest changes, especially things like CANBUS electronics, the basics are still sound.

Some things change quickly, other things change slowly. In the case of rebreather basics (types of basic rebreathers, cells, voting logic, etc.) it's still sound information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom