Food for thought about the island economy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just some food for thought - and this may offend some, which I won't apologize for. For those offended by this, well - it speaks more about you than the words I am about to share.

For those of you who are able to travel and support the island - THANK YOU - we sincerely appreciate you and are grateful for you! However, for those of you who think this is the time to "get a deal" or trying to negotiate a discount because you think you are doing the island a favor by visiting - remember that 99.99% of the businesses on the island are struggling to stay open (the exception would be for those who the shop is a hobby and who are otherwise millionaires, independently wealthy or who have investors that are one of the above - and I only know of a small few of those.

There was literally no income for anyone for 4+ months and businesses were still required to pay bills, payroll and taxes as if the world was normal. Those that are still able to provide services have gone through reserves, personal savings, taken in donations or loans to stay afloat, and some are working extra jobs back in the states or elsewhere to keep things going. Unlike pre-COVID times, there still is not a constant cash flow to most businesses. The fill station and gas stations are no longer giving weekly or monthly credit to ANYONE - tanks and gas must be paid for each day. We still cannot operate at full capacity so can still barely break even. My point is that most shops are currently operating hand to mouth while trying to recover and provide services to you with a smile and some sense of normalcy. Operations are in no way back to normal for most of us. Yes, you may see some out there with full boats - these are the ones who don't have permits so they have nothing to lose. Those of us who operate legally have been warned under no uncertain terms that permits will be revoked (not renewed in November) if we violate the current restrictions.

So while you are able to travel and take a vacation, remember that the businesses on the island are struggling to stay open and offering a discount may actually cause them to operate at a loss. In other words, it would cost them less not to have your business than it would to give you a discount. Again - food for thought - ask yourself what a discount means to the big picture of your vacation vs what it means to those providing goods and services who are struggling to keep their doors open, gas in the boats, crews on the boats and tanks on the boats.

Now is a better time than ever to have compassion, generosity, and respect for your favorite island businesses and for the prices and policies that are quoted or posted. If you can afford to vacation and travel right now, remember that you are blessed to be able to do so.

very nicely stated Christi. and oh so true!

Yes! It felt great to spend money there and even better to tip generously.

If people are offended by what @Christi said, then shame on them. There is no time where it is acceptable to be a cheapskate at the expense of those less fortunate and in need.

are you saying people should not book a trip at a hotel or dive shop that is offering a discounted price compared to what they normally charge ? this would seem very odd to me.
for example....we just completed a stay for the long weekend near our home. we stayed at a fishing resort for 3 nights that normally is full of travelers from the usa. but this year, with the border closure etc, they have had zero customers from the usa.
normally we could never afford to stay here. but due to the current circumstances, they were offering lake side cabins for a very reasonable rate so we decided to try and support them.
all 12 cabins were full. and the customers were all from nearby areas. and i am confident that most, if not all, have never been there.
so by your argument, the resort should have stayed closed and not bothered to find another way to offer their product to a different consumer base ? i would have to strongly disagree.
obviously there is a fine line between offering a discount, and operating at a loss. and that struggle is the same for many businesses now.
i certainly would not advocate that people should beat up an operator in order to save a few bucks. but at the same time, i do not think shaming people who find a good deal is warranted either.
hopefully things will continue to improve down there (and everywhere else). i am sure we all hope this coming high season is a good one !!

are you saying people should not book a trip at a hotel or dive shop that is offering a discounted price compared to what they normally charge ? this would seem very odd to me.
for example....we just completed a stay for the long weekend near our home. we stayed at a fishing resort for 3 nights that normally is full of travelers from the usa. but this year, with the border closure etc, they have had zero customers from the usa.
normally we could never afford to stay here. but due to the current circumstances, they were offering lake side cabins for a very reasonable rate so we decided to try and support them.
all 12 cabins were full. and the customers were all from nearby areas. and i am confident that most, if not all, have never been there.
so by your argument, the resort should have stayed closed and not bothered to find another way to offer their product to a different consumer base ? i would have to strongly disagree.
obviously there is a fine line between offering a discount, and operating at a loss. and that struggle is the same for many businesses now.
i certainly would not advocate that people should beat up an operator in order to save a few bucks. but at the same time, i do not think shaming people who find a good deal is warranted either.
hopefully things will continue to improve down there (and everywhere else). i am sure we all hope this coming high season is a good one !!

I believe Christi was referring to those customers who call up and haggle over the price and try to wring a discount out of a hotel/shop beyond whatever they are currently offering.

Taking advantage of an advertised deal? Perfectly fine.

Browbeating someone struggling because they are 'lucky to get your business in these times'? Dick move.

I believe Christi was referring to those customers who call up and haggle over the price and try to wring a discount out of a hotel/shop beyond whatever they are currently offering.

Taking advantage of an advertised deal? Perfectly fine.

Browbeating someone struggling because they are 'lucky to get your business in these times'? Dick move.

This is exactly what I am saying. If a special package or deal is being offered then that is because the owner/manager has deemed that is what they are able to do. What I said exactly is to respect to published rates whether that means the full rate or a special package.

You missed the point by a long shot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom