Suggested CCR Reading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most books are a little out dated, but if you keep that in mind

Jeff Bozanic - Mastering Rebreathers
Jeff Bozanic - Understanding Rebrethers
Mel Clarck - Rebreathers Simplyfied
Jill Heinerth - The Basic of Rebreather Diving

unfortunately there is no up to date books

Nice, I did AN/DP with Mel. Now that she is building a house in Florida, I doubt I will see much of her around here...

There's a real good book written by an brazilian author, but only available in portuguese

Bahia Rebreathers

Having recently been down the same road as you, I was sorely disappointed in the relevance of the existing books out there. Bought 'em all, and they were not worth the cost if you have done much cruising through the threads here, and older threads on Rebreatherworld.com. The texts do provide basic information.
I was similarly disappointed in the TDI required video and PowerPoint when I started my course. Both very dated. On the other hand, I was really pleased with the caliber of my instruction, and most of my worries were for nothing. Once we were hands-on, things made more sense.
This whole field is moving fast, and I would suggest reading thread after thread, and then just asking a newbie question here and there. You may get a little snark, but for the most part, all the divers here are anxious to see you succeed with whatever rig you choose.
Perhaps a new text will come along soon.

Jill Heinerth’s book is crap. Dont waste your money. Google rebreather and within 5 minutes you have more information than you’ll find in that book. Its shockingly useless
thats pretty harsh - what specifically is so terrible about it -

edit- sorry i was getting mixed up with another book

i thought it was mel clarks 'ccr trimix simplified ' which i though was pretty good

The books I got for training are pretty much what has already been mentioned. The trouble is they are ALL outdated. Even just a few years old you could tell they were hedging there bets on some upcoming stuff (*cough* extend air cartridges were going to take off and solve all scrubber issues * cough*).

Rebreathers there really isn't a go to book that has all the answers. Other activities there are just some standard go to resources. Want to rebuild a small block ford V8? Tom Monroe makes a great book that has been a go to resource for decades. So I know there are good reference books for some things. Just not rebreathers.

My reference material came from the local shop getting me into DEMA as a shop representative. Walk the isles, pick up literature on all of them, talk to all of them. But that isn't happening this year.

I would read the manual for any unit you are interested in. That taught me a lot. I had to read the TDI rebreather book and IANTD Tek CCR book. They are dated, but there was a good amount of useful information in them for me as I'm still a brand new CCR diver. My instructor was and continues to be the best resource I have found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom