Snacking Between Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup. Some dive ops actually have bananas on the list of “no go” items.
And Santa Claus and the tooth Fairy are real too....:rolleyes:
But seriously, that's all I can eat for breakfast before an all day free diving spearing. Anything else gives me heartburn.
But, I can eat a pepperoni pizza and scuba dive.

And Santa Claus and the tooth Fairy are real too....:rolleyes:
But seriously, that's all I can eat for breakfast before an all day free diving spearing. Anything else gives me heartburn.
But, I can eat a pepperoni pizza and scuba dive.

“No go” as in absolutely don’t bring them...not “no go” as in you can’t leave the dock without them.

“No go” as in absolutely don’t bring them...not “no go” as in you can’t leave the dock without them.
I'm aware of that old belief. It supposedly came from banana workers loading boats would get bitten by a spider and become ill or even died.
But, I have my own boat and bananas work for me.

The anti-banana thing is fascinating. It's a much more recent invention than most seafaring superstitions. People who believe in it seem to take it very seriously, while ignoring older more traditional bad luck omens. Guess it's just the continuing evolution of the culture.

The anti-banana thing is fascinating. It's a much more recent invention than most seafaring superstitions. People who believe in it seem to take it very seriously, while ignoring older more traditional bad luck omens. Guess it's just the continuing evolution of the culture.
I think it's a pretty cool marketing tool for dive shops catering to landlocked, new or young divers.
"Mysteries of the sea".....

Reactions: Ana
I usually eat bananas between dives, quick energy and easy to carry. Im shore diving, so no problem with the bananas on boats issue.

Info I recall re: no bananas on boats. Bananas release a chemical that ripens fruit rapidly. You will note this if you store fruit next to bananas. Thus, fruit merchants would absolutely ban bananas on any boat that carried fruit, for it would spoil the fruit. Bananas would need their own segregated boat - hence the term "banana boat."

This practical banning of bananas on some boats may have been some of the basis of an eventual superstition against bananas on all boats.

Being a cola addict, I have one with a half sandwich in between boat dives. No problems.

Peanut butter, Coconut milk and lolly pops!

The menu of a true diver!

Hmmm...I’m feeling a little outside the circle of wisdom.

In Florida, you have to take care of yourself. The snacks on most charters are, I dunno, insulting. I’m with others here that somewhat bland, protein-dense foods settle well so I pack pistachios, high quality energy bars, protein bars and nutritional bars. Lots of water to soften the chemical reactions in your GI tract.

In the Middle Heat, we get a couple of big pieces of biryani chicken, as much rice as you can fathom, loads of unflavored yoghurt, fresh veggies and a good salad. Boxes of cookies and sodas, tea and water, too.

I’m a bit of a fitness nut and look at food now more as a fuel than an opportunity for my taste buds. So I tend to eat only that amount I need for the next event and that’s digestible in time for the start of the event. With all the above abundant foods, I pick small portions. I don’t drink soda and I consume caffeine (mainly coffee) sparingly.

No issues with heartburn.

I do however always seem to let loose a very satisfying burp, much to my disappointment, at the very end of the dive. Why disappointing? Because had the burp made its way out earlier in the dive it probably would’ve improved my RMV by at least a liter per minute.

Beef jerky with a source of carbs for me (banana or rice cakes)

With Covid the boats stopped serving tea/coffee and biscuits here

Back
Top Bottom