What can you tell me about these doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree the lack of a + is odd. I would like to see the bottom and the height and width. Personally I am only familiar with Scott SCBA's from the sixties, I can't recall if they had pluses. They had round hemispherical bottoms, not like the bottom on 72's

If there
I agree the lack of a + is odd. I would like to see the bottom and the height and width. Personally I am only familiar with Scott SCBA's from the sixties, I can't recall if they had pluses. They had round hemispherical bottoms, not like the bottom on 72's

When I get back from the cottage I will take some more photos and get the measurements.

From my perspective, these are Scott Tanks that someone has converted to a U.S. Divers Company manifold for doubles with a Scubapro backpack. I have a Scubapro set of double 72s that have the same band set, and I just put the same backpack on it as you show. I just got mine hydroed for the first time since 1980, but mine have the standard 3/4 inch opening as modern tanks. One thing to be aware of is some dive shops don't like dealing with 1/2 inch tapered tread valves.

My book from my library titled "Dive, The Complete Book of Skin Diving," by Rick and Barbara Carrier, Wilfred Funk, Inc., New York, 1957 lists the Scott Hydro-Pak by Scott Aviation as having a:

"6350-B5 Cylinder and valve assembly, 48.3 cu. ft. @ 1800 p.s.i."

Your cylinders are stamped for 1800 psi, so I assume that these are the cylinders you have. They hold 48.3 cubic feet of air in each tank, for a total of 96.6 cubic feet of air for the doubles, and therefore are relatively smaller and lighter than twin 72s (see mine below). They would make a fine rig for diving, and my opinion is that you need to get them hydroed and back up and diving. If you need help with the 1/2 inch tapered threads on the valve, I've been doing that for years.

Here's a front view of my "new" twin 72s, with a similar band and backpack.

50281683243_2225a70a90_k.jpg
IMG_1630 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

SeaRat

@John C. Ratliff
Very good summary !

"Dive, The Complete Book of Skin Diving," by Rick and Barbara Carrier 1957

John there are four distinct editions of Dive, The Complete Book of Skin Diving
each one revised by different authors and published a year or two later that the preceding editions
If interested and if possible attempt tp collect all three additional editions- each is different with equipment up dates -- great reference books

Oh the Horror !
The US Divers regulator is positioned 20 digress off to the right
The absolute HORROR !

Have a great labor day and stay safe !'

Samuel Miller. III

Sam,

I have two of those editions of Dive, the Complete Book of Skin Diving. The one which has the information on the Scott bottles is in the one copyright 1955, but it says it is the 1957 edition. The information on the Scott Hydro-Pak came from page 277.

The other edition that I have is the 1973 edition, and it does not have any information on the Scott Aviation Hydro-Pak.

John

Back
Top Bottom