OW at 55!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I first did a tourist dive in Cancun when I was eleven. I'm 53 now and in the process of getting my OW. All my classroom and pool certs are done. I'm just waiting for COVID restrictions to be lifted to get my OW dives at the New Mexico Blue Hole.

You're going to love Blue Hole in Santa Rosa! That's where I did my open water dives in 1992 for my original certification. When you're there, see if you can hit the lake across the street and dive the plane. It's the lake with all the docks and swimming areas. Perch lake I believe. The plane isn't really deep, but if visibility is decent, it's a neat dive after your crystal clear water at Blue Hole...

@Sam Miller III thank you so much for posting your memories...you actually bought a tear to a grumpy old sailors eye then. I wrote a little note a few years ago called 'The last diver' when the last of my dad's buddies went to the great reef in the sky - the mad bastards dived the Montebello Islands atomic detonation site repeatedly in total violation of all laws and the irony of him being the only one to get cancer after the others had all passed seems to somehow amuse him. They were taught by Jack Sue to never hold their breath or come up faster than their bubbles and good to go. I can still smell them melting down aluminium cans to make weights.

Never too old - I had my arse kicked by an 84 year old lady from Jeju at Tulumben ... her grandchildren had paid for her to come to Bali and thought she would enjoy scuba... She preferred the way she'd been diving for 72 years and promptly discarded all that new fanged gear. She was magnificent to watch in the water.

@Wingy
@Sam Miller III thank you so much for posting your memories...you actually bought a tear to a grumpy old sailors eye then. I wrote a little note a few years ago called 'The last diver' when the last of my dad's buddies went to the great reef in the sky - the mad bastards dived the Montebello Islands atomic detonation site repeatedly in total violation of all laws and the irony of him being the only one to get cancer after the others had all passed seems to somehow amuse him. They were taught by Jack Sue to never hold their breath or come up faster than their bubbles and good to go. I can still smell them melting down aluminum cans to make weights.

Never too old - I had my arse kicked by an 84 year old lady from Jeju at Tulumben ... her grandchildren had paid for her to come to Bali and thought she would enjoy scuba... She preferred the way she'd been diving for 72 years and promptly discarded all that new fanged gear. She was magnificent to watch in the water.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you for the complement in your response..
Since there was no objections, and a number of "at a boys" my post was verified as appropriate to document of the recent history of the development of rececreatinal diving.
SDM III

Stephen not crazy at all. I'm 50 and dive the Long Island Sound off my boat at least once a week in the summer. The great thing is that after dealing with our cold water, zero vis and currents, you can dive almost anywhere else in the world and have it be easy!

Where's your boat out of?

Stephen not crazy at all. I'm 50 and dive the Long Island Sound off my boat at least once a week in the summer. The great thing is that after dealing with our cold water, zero vis and currents, you can dive almost anywhere else in the world and have it be easy!

Where's your boat out of?
Where abouts do you dive in the Sound?

Where abouts do you dive in the Sound?

Mostly western. Typical spots: Maine, Gwendoline Steers, Celtic, Glen Island, the Captain's Islands, the Polling 2 every once in a while, and a few times on a mystery wreck I am working to identify.

Mostly western. Typical spots: Maine, Gwendoline Steers, Celtic, Glen Island, the Captain's Islands, the Polling 2 every once in a while, and a few times on a mystery wreck I am working to identify.
Hey coldwater! I need someone to dive with! I do occasionally dive solo but would rather have a dive buddy. I have my own boat (22.5 seahunt) and all my own gear. My boat is slipped in Rye municipal and close to all the locations you mentioned. So if you feel like teaching a newbie a thing or two please call me (914) 5271027. I would be most thankful!
Also....I dove the Gwendoline a couple of weeks ago with my dive instructor but basically did everything wrong with timing of tide,current and wind conditions. We got close but ran out of time and air. All in all i was happy that i could handle no vis at 50 ft! It was a first.

Hey coldwater! I need someone to dive with! I do occasionally dive solo but would rather have a dive buddy. I have my own boat (22.5 seahunt) and all my own gear. My boat is slipped in Rye municipal and close to all the locations you mentioned. So if you feel like teaching a newbie a thing or two please call me (914) 527727. I would be most thankful!
Also....I dove the Gwendoline a couple of weeks ago with my dive instructor but basically did everything wrong with timing of tide,current and wind conditions. We got close but ran out of time and air. All in all i was happy that i could handle no vis at 50 ft! It was a first.

Hey Stephen, weather permitting we are heading to the Gwendoline Steers on Saturday. You're welcome to join. We can meet at the Scotch Caps and motor over together and raft up at the wreck. Timing is such it will be a low tide dive.

Slack tide is a real plus for the GS wreck and the trick is to stay off the bottom. The wreck is very very silty and the water clouds to zero vis if it is disturbed.

This current measurement station is pretty close to the wreck and is what I use for a guide: current predictions: Eatons Neck Pt., 1.8 miles west of, New York Current

Wondering how many get certified at this late an age. So far i really enjoy it and am currently working on my AOW..I own my own boat in the western long island sound and dive off it as often as i can but often wonder if i'm a little crazy to start such a journey at this late an age.

Welcome, and in my book, it is never too late in life to explore new things, especially when it involves blowing bubbles. Life is way too short!

Back
Top Bottom