WTH caused the parade boats to sink in nice weather in Lake Travis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The boat going away from them is much bigger, seems to have passed close to them going the opposite direction, has a fair bit of red attire including a hat, and does not seem to be looking behind them at the effect they had on those in the smaller boat.

From the article: “We had an exceptional number of boats on the lake today,” she said. “When they all started moving at the same time, it generated significant waves.”

Though multiple 3’ flags on 20’ poles above a small boat not designed as a sailboat does not seem a great idea. Quoting from that pictures caption: "Owners of boats of “all shapes and sizes” were encouraged to participate and to decorate their craft with “as many Trump flags” as possible at the event in Lake Travis in Texas, a Facebook page said."

Summary: It was the stupid that sunk 'em.

Summary: It was the stupid that sunk 'em.
Well, drawing out the apparent facts, as the first step. Which might lead to the conclusion that some were acting that way. Though that particular boat didn't sink.

Schadenfreude

Although I was not at Lake Travis, we had a similar "Trumper Boat Parade" at Canyon Lake, 40 miles north of San Antonio, on Saturday, with probably upwards of 300-400 boats of all sizes and shapes. Having a lakefront home on the main channel, we had a front row seat to the chaos and stupidity of many of the boaters, not all going in the same direction, speed, or paying much attention to others around them. Like at Austin, the weather was great with fairly calm winds. However, the huge number of various size boats, many overloaded, and their combined wakes, made the lake a very dangerous place to be. When you add those conditions to the usual lack of sobriety, boat driving skills, common sense, and the overabundance of stupidity exhibited by our dumb ass south Texas boaters on any summer holiday weekend, you had a catastrophe waiting to happen. I am surprised boats did not sink here as well. Maybe some did, and we have not yet heard the news.

Schadenfreude
noun
  1. pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
    "a business that thrives on schadenfreude"

I have a wakeboard board boat and I will tell you if you are cruising at slower speeds in it you are throwing one heck of a wake even without the ballasts filled. You get several mulling around you make a mess quick. I saw the same kind of thing at our lake (trump parade) and I was glad all my toys were on the lift and I could watch and shake my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom