What is that Noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Blaylock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone. Im still fairly new to the sport (51 total dives) and have only done a handful of ocean dives. Every time i am diving in the ocean (around 65 ft down), i continually hear what sounds like an old record player when it reaches the end of a record. The sound does not cause any physical discomfort, and i usually have no problem clearing my ears. I am just curious to see if this is a normal. Thanks for any advise

There are lots of noises underwater.

Certain fish make specific noises, it's not the silent world that Jaques Cousteau mentioned :)

Once, a bunch of years ago when diving from a boat, I could have sworn I had a leak from my 1st stage. I signalled to my partner to check, and then the DM/Guide to check. I wound up taking my rig off to inspect first hand when both my buddy and DM shrugged their shoulders and shook their heads "no". I didn't have a leak...the DM pointed upwards at the boat....noise, as heard underwater is far less directional. We were at least 10 meters below the boat, but the noise still sounded like it was coming from right behind my head.

That static noise you hear is common. You get used to it after a while. Don't worry about it unless you start hearing things like "redrum, redrum, redrum" along with the static.

-Z

i continually hear what sounds like an old record player when it reaches the end of a record.
Sorry, this does not help me understand what you are hearing. Can you describe it better? What location(s)?

Distant boat traffic is my guess.

Hello everyone. Im still fairly new to the sport (51 total dives) and have only done a handful of ocean dives. Every time i am diving in the ocean (around 65 ft down), i continually hear what sounds like an old record player when it reaches the end of a record. The sound does not cause any physical discomfort, and i usually have no problem clearing my ears. I am just curious to see if this is a normal. Thanks for any advise

Tell us where you dive. It could be sounds of the reef or it could be your boat or it may be something else.

Have you ever asked your dive buddies if they hear it too?

All my diving has been on reefs. And although it's been a loooooong time since I listened to a vinyl record 33 speed, that clicking sound at the end is a pretty accurate description of the "clicking" sounds of the reefs

If u have a small air bubble trapped in your ear, you will hear it and bypassing bubbles from your regulator. This can be loud sometimes. But sounds more like bubbles and not a ending recorder..

Where do u dive?
If you dive in tropics, my guess is parrotfish. When they grind corals this can sound like a recorder i guess..
Or if you dive shallow and the waves are pushing into and moving sand/gravel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom