Record deep dive challenged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahmed-gabr-world-record-doubts-28-08-2020-36.jpg
ahmed-gabr-world-record-doubts-28-08-2020-2.jpg

The black tag shown in the video is definitely a different tag than the authentic Guinness white tag the adjudicator is holding.
Even if all but the depth was covered in black tape, the authentic depth marking would show in the bottom right corner, not take up the whole card.

Since the authentic Guinness tag along with Gabr's computer screen showing the max depth was required to be visible in the video in order to be authenticated, and this does not appear to have been met, this discrepancy alone should have disqualified the record attempt.

This might just go down as the biggest SCUBA hoax...

The black tag shown in the video is definitely a different tag than the authentic Guinness white tag the adjudicator is holding.
Even if all but the depth was covered in black tape, the authentic depth marking would show in the bottom right corner, not take up the whole card.

Not sure I follow this. The black tag appears to be tape. You can see the line in the middle. Why couldn't it be the official "white" tag, just wrapped in tape to make visibility easier? Upon surfacing, they remove tape to see the handwriting on the white tag. It even looks like the black tape that was removed is laying on the notebook.

naw, some "made in America" regulators are
Which ones? This is getting dangerously off topic and maybe needs a spinoff thread, but I'm curious who still manufactures scuba gear in america/europe/1st world countries that have some semblance of basic protections for workers and the environment in place.

The card discrepancy is a good catch.

The blacking out of the tags and computer make a decent amount of sense to me. If every 10m is an alcoholic drink, if you're 30 drinks in, it's dark, you're suffering tunnel vision, you don't want to be confused by a single thing in your visual field. Thus why his stages were also labeled for depth with hand-high letters.

Its the N2 under pressure that makes you get that feeling, that’s why you put helium in the gasmix.
The low O2% is to avoid a way to high PPO2.

Tribal, basically all gases we use for diving are narcotic, it is a question of relative potential, not of yes/no. Even helium causes narcosis, just much less than nitrogen (and maybe oxygen). At 300+ meters, narcosis is unavoidable at least to some degree.

Tribal, basically all gases we use for diving are narcotic, it is a question of relative potential, not of yes/no. Even helium causes narcosis, just much less than nitrogen (and maybe oxygen). At 300+ meters, narcosis is unavoidable at least to some degree.
you will need some nitrogen to mitigate HPNS in the 400-600 range for sure

Which ones? This is getting dangerously off topic and maybe needs a spinoff thread, but I'm curious who still manufactures scuba gear in america/europe/1st world countries that have some semblance of basic protections for workers and the environment in place.

The card discrepancy is a good catch.
Taiwan is a 1st world country. You should visit one day and broaden your horizon

Let's keep this on topic folks.

Lessons are learned in these attempts but the cost vs gain is questionable IMO.

There are only recreational "lessons", as all the actual lessons were learned decades ago. It's about ego and bragging rights today.

I agree with you in principle, however, why are people still climbing Everest?

To get the c-card. From the lines I saw they should put in an escalator.

Back
Top Bottom