Carry-on luggage that fins fit in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a short dive trip fins are the only thing keeping me from carry-on only.
Hockey fins. 18" long. Rather stiff. Good for flutter, frog, back. (not cheap)
img_0470-jpg.495515.jpg

I was coming back from a dive trip and there was a guy I had met diving. He had two huge carry-on's. I asked him how he gets away with that and he said if they say anything he just points ahead and tells the gate agent one of the bags is his wife's.

this is brilliant. Suddenly everyone can be my husband now :D

Yeah. It's brilliant until they run out of overhead bin space and you're told to put the bags under the seat in front of you. Good luck finding that temporary husband to take your extra bag. He's gonna want that space to stretch his legs. So sorry!

Yeah. It's brilliant until they run out of overhead bin space and you're told to put the bags under the seat in front of you. Good luck finding that temporary husband to take your extra bag. He's gonna want that space to stretch his legs. So sorry!

I usu take a backpack and have my camera gear in a rollerboard - 19". My rollerboard can actually fit under the seat in front of me even on a commuter jet where the overhead bins are not large enough to accommodate it so I stick my backpack up there instead. I usually like to put my backpack under the seat and have that as my "personal item". though apart from the camera gear, the battle really is staying within 7kg for all carry on.

Odyssey 45+10L is a couple of inches longer than the "regulation" size but will actually fit even where "regulation size" roll-aboards don't: like a duffel it doesn't have hard right angles sticking out and can squeezed into places. The "10" bit is detachable and counts as personal item and the whole thing can be had for under $50 if you wait for a sale.

My Accels fit in it but not my ARAs.

The downsides are like the others said: if you run into an *n*l gate agent, it is a couple of inches too long. Keeping the weight down to 7 kilos can be problematic. Last but not least, I can pack all my gear into it as long as I don't take a change of underwear, any spare t-shirts, etc.

I understand that not everyone can travel extremely light but this works for me with my Deep6 fins in a duffle placed in the overhead, and the rest in backpack under seat. So far I’ve been lucky and have not been forced to check.
C82B1451-265D-40C3-B687-34CE756EA0F5.jpeg
EC7CC3CE-657A-4AC7-98EE-DE8EBF767C1B.jpeg

I’m using the included backpack that comes with my ScubaPro Hydros Pro bcd. Strap my Jet Fins on the front as designed. No issues

I have Big Agnes Big Joe 45L. If it's stuffed full then it's too big for airline sizing, technically, but I think only about the same average outer dimensions as standard roller bag carryons (for US domestic limits). I can fit my small Shot FX fins or my boyfriend's large RK3s at an angle and pack around them and still keep it fitting into the metal bag size cheker. We haven't tried fitting all 4 fins in it, but I suspect that it wouldn't work. We generally toss the fins into the checked bag anyway, as others have said, but on our most recent trip it made sense for him to steal the Big Joe bag from me and stay at our destination a little longer while I took his original carryon and our shared checked bag home early. He was glad to be able to keep his fins with him while not needing to lug around the checked bag when I went home early.

Was on a small United plane in TX in 2010. Weight limit for carryon than was actually 44 pounds (from their website). Carryons had to go with checked bags due to the small plane. I got paged to come off the plane to the landing where they were to be dropped off for loading. Got a lecture from the baggage guy about how his men would strain their back with my "overweight" carryon (it was well under 44 pounds, and shortly after United reduced it to 22 pounds). Told him it was legal--no apology. Wrote United, expecting maybe $25 off my next flight for the inconvenience. Got a tiny apology -- basically a swift kick in the a$$. Ah, the pleasures of flying nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom