Dive Logs - History ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Angelo Farina
Very interesting !

AS I understand your post
a) you purchased a SCUBA Pro Mk V
b) year Mk V was purchased ?
c) the instruction manual contained 7 pages for a dive log
d) the pages are as you completed and transmitted

It appears, or a better word is apparent, that SCUBA Pro under the founder Dick Bonin, who was as big proponent of dive logs slipped one in the last 7 pages of the SCUBA Pro technical manual for Italy. .

The question is when or if a dive log was included in the American version ? and what year ?

A few last personal questions
What city are your located ?
Are you associated with the Italian Historical Diving Society?

Stay safe my friend

Sam Miller, III

@Angelo Farina
Very interesting !

AS I understand your post
a) you purchased a SCUBA Pro Mk V
b) year Mk V was purchased ?
c) the instruction manual contained 7 pages for a dive log
d) the pages are as you completed and transmitted

It appears, or a better word is apparent, that SCUBA Pro under the founder Dick Bonin, who was as big proponent of dive logs slipped one in the last 7 pages of the SCUBA Pro technical manual for Italy. .

The question is when or if a dive log was included in the American version ? and what year ?

A few last personal questions
What city are your located ?
Are you associated with the Italian Historical Diving Society?

Stay safe my friend

Sam Miller, III
As you see by the dates of the dives logged, I purchased the MKV on spring 1976. The previous year I was certified Cmas **, and in spring 1976 I was training for the full *** certification, which was for 50m depth with deco, plus CC rebreathers.
So I needed a professional regulator...
I am still using it nowadays.
If you see the text on top of the pages, it is some sort of invitation to log the dives. It says that it takes just one minute.
My town is Parma, most known for food: Parmesan cheese, Parma Ham, Barilla, Parmalat, etc.
It is also known for our university, one of the most ancient in the world (founded in AD 920), that is where I work.
Last point: no, I am not associated with the historical diving society.
However, due to my age and having started diving very young, I had the possibility to know most of the pioneers of diving here in Italy. People as Ferraro, Marcante, Bucher, De La Pen, De Strobel, Oggioni Tiepolo, Bertieri, Pellizzari, etc...
My wife did dive with Jacques
Majol at Maldives...

@lexvil
While I don’t know the answer to “first” in 1971 I had a NASDS logbook, even had a spot inside to tape a dime.

And you are so correct !
Do you have a picture of the cover of the log book and the space for the dime ?
And or the dime taped in the log book?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A little history
NASDS was created by the late great John Gaffney and was a very progressive program which incorporated all the good parts of the then established programs and established a number of their own .

The taping the coins to a secure known location was established many years previous by the LA Co program. The LA Co program recommended taping coins wrapped and secured in aluminum foil or waxed paper along with life guard numbers and police of LA Co or OC - 911 was in the future - in several areas; on the instructor's equipment and in their auto.

John and NASDS capitalized but failed to include protection the coin from the tape adhesive which often stuck in the telephone coin slot-- but a step in the right direction on a national scale.

The NASDS training manual was well presented with great clear illustrations was and still is the training manual by which all dive training manuals are measured . Originally authored by Bill Hogan and later the rights to publish the manual was acquired by Tony Zimos, either edition is a treasure chest of dive instruction and should be treasured-- hopefully you still have yours ? .

Thanks again for your input. Certainly another step discovering the mystery of the dive log's short but forgotten history

Sam Miller III

@lexvil

And you are so correct !
Do you have a picture of the cover of the log book and the space for the dime ?
And or the dime taped in the log book?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A little history
NASDS was created by the late great John Gaffney and was a very progressive program which incorporated all the good parts of the then established programs and established a number of their own .

The taping the coins to a secure known location was established many years previous by the LA Co program. The LA Co program recommended taping coins wrapped and secured in aluminum foil or waxed paper along with life guard numbers and police of LA Co or OC - 911 was in the future - in several areas; on the instructor's equipment and in their auto.

John and NASDS capitalized but failed to include protection the coin from the tape adhesive which often stuck in the telephone coin slot-- but a step in the right direction on a national scale.

The NASDS training manual was well presented with great clear illustrations was and still is the training manual by which all dive training manuals are measured . Originally authored by Bill Hogan and later the rights to publish the manual was acquired by Tony Zimos, either edition is a treasure chest of dive instruction and should be treasured-- hopefully you still have yours ? .

Thanks again for your input. Certainly another step discovering the mystery of the dive log's short but forgotten history

Sam Miller III
Sometime in the last 49 years the log and my certificate were lost, in a move or “ex” action, that and the crumbling card erased that part of history for me, the records fire did the rest.

Not a recreational log but, but a personal log book for military divers. They gave US Navy Divers this log book in the early 1970s. I never saw anyone actually use it. Diving supervisors had a loose-leaf form they filled out for surface supplied dives.

upload_2021-3-14_8-45-18.png

upload_2021-3-14_8-47-46.png

It is hard bound and glossy paper, but not waterproof.

The American ( and rest of the world) a few questions on the Recreational "Dive Log?"

When did the first RECREATIONAL "Dive Log" appear ...
a) year introduced ?
b) who developed it ?
c) company ?
d) location ?

When did the "Dive Log" first
a) became mandatory ?
b) year it became mandatory ?
b) what certification program (s) ?
c) who developed it ?
~~ person ?
~~ Certifying agency ?

A slow talking, slow walking, a very slow thinking uninformed diver would like your input

Thank you

Samuel Miller, III
It's not mandatory. I don't keep one and no one has punished me yet. It is useful as a way of keeping up with things like how much weight you need for a particular wet suit and particular gear set up in salt or fresh water, That way you don't have to determine how much weight you need every time you dive because you will have it written down. Other than that, I don't see the point.

I miss Sam! I will write some things here about dive logs, but I wanted instead to revive this thread, as it is an important one.

I started logging my dives in 1967 when, while in the U.S. Air Force as a Paraerscueman, logging dives became mandatory. I’ll show in subsequent posts some of the formats I’ve been using. But my dive logs allowed me to find out things that were repeating, such as “I’m freezing…” and make changes; buy a Aquala Dry Suit.

SeaRat

Logs have always been voluntary. I kept a dive log for several years starting in the late 60s, finally stopping in the late 70s. There was a basic formula: date, location, time in and time out, maximum depth, and 'remarks'. I remember that NASDS had a specific log book printed when I was certified in 1973, about when shops required a C Card to fill your tanks. That 50 year old card, together with Nitrox certification, are the only certifications I have or want.

Another very interesting diving thread. Thank you all.

I don't know of any early references to logbooks in France for rec diving, but my guess is, as diving for fun was developed by (ex) Navy servicemen, who were in the habit of logging their dives (any unlogged dive wasn't paid for), I'm almost sure it was a recommandation.

As far as compulsory is concerned, I can't give a clear answer, all I know is that in many diving shops, if you come without your log book, there'll be hell to pay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom