Safe way to tuck a seven-foot hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...how do you wrap safely the long hose to make sure it doesn’t dangle all over the place ?

The trick is to pull the hose loop down through the webbing and then all the way back. That last move is what keeps it in place.

Careful to leave enough hose to turn your head. Not enough hose behind the neck is probably what causes it to pull out in the first place. You can turn your head to the left while looping and pulling down or eventually you will know how tight/loose to leave the hose behind your neck.

A smaller person (like me) is going to have more extra hose to be able to tuck securely than a larger person. I find that a 7 foot hose is just enough to tuck securely for me, so larger people may be more successful using a pocket or long hose retainer if not using a can light.

Brett,
I don't have a picture, but from your question, I think you understand how I have it rigged.
The first couple feet are easy: those come as soon as I grab my regulator and free the loop around my neck, same as for the guys who have it snagged on something at their waist. Trapped may be too strong a word to describe the hose's situation under the buckle at the chest. Yes, there is a bit of tension on the hose where it's in contact with my chest and the chest strap of the bc, but it's not enough to keep me from being able to pull it out in one clean motion. It takes about as much force as to pull a belt from a pair of jeans. Does that make sense?

If by chance it became tighter than I expected, once I complete the regulator exchange and start breathing from my secondary, I could unbuckle the chest strap easily enough. There'd be time because I don't want to let the recipient use the full 7-feet until I know everyone is breathing and mentally prepared to begin a calm, slow ascent. But I really don't think I'd need to.
Gotcha, thanks. Point taken that the second half of the hose's length is not immediately necessary. If I follow, you'd have about as much hose available as a typical rec octo, roughly 3-4 feet, which is plenty to safely stick in your buddy's breathing hole.

It had not occurred to me that this is a feature rather than a bug, but that actually makes a lot of sense. Come to think of it, I would really want to be sure that the OOG diver is calm and neutrally buoyant before letting them get out of arm's reach. Thanks @tbone1004 for educating me.

Is the OP using braided hose or rubber? (He mentioned “floaty” so I think so)… my rubber hose stays put below the waist belt weight pockets at my hip even with a partial tuck as there’s not much overhang with a 2kg small sized weight pocket. There have been occasions that it has come loose though…

The Aqualung knife mentioned above would be my next best option but the weight pocket won’t let me position it exactly on the side of the hip where a folded leg won’t feel it jabbing into the thigh.

I tuck it in the center. Bottom of loop is pushed back by the crotch strap. I'm not tall and this works well for me.

These lead long hose keepers are popular around here if you need the weight.
B0BCDA3E-8A8A-4B33-B071-514EB33D6446.jpeg

I use a

Apeks Long Hose Retainer​

Back
Top Bottom