Safe way to tuck a seven-foot hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if your waist strap is snug enough *it should be the only "snug" one on a one-piece harnes, it shouldn't come out that easily....

that said, something like this is fine to "hook" it.
DGX DIR Knife and Titanium Shears w/ Waistbelt Sheath

Someone makes a plastic stick with a notch in it that you can slide onto the webbing, but I can't remember who it is. The standard "DIR" knife or similar works fine to hook it though
Halcyon makes the delrin light stick.

All great ideas and suggestions!

Thank you for your input.

Much appreciated! :)

And it’s only like $20, I have one and it works perfectly. It keeps the hose nice and clean.

I just took a rescue course and did a stupid amount of out of air drill so had to reset my hose a bunch underwater and the hose stuck made it super easy to deploy and clean up.

you can also make one for almost nothing from a piece of scrap 3/4" PVC conduit and a PVC end cap.

Cut a slot in the conduit about 3" long from one end with a table saw
Glue the cap on the slotted end
Round off the base a bit with sandpaper or a file

poof
2.5" slot and an open bottomed tube which drains

Two rookie questions here:

It seems like most of the solutions involve deliberately fouling the hose on something on or near the diver's waist. That goes against my seamanship instincts. Does hooking a bight of the hose on a light or sheath affect how the hose gets shared if there is an emergency? Will the stuff the hose is hooked on get dislodged or prevent the hose from deploying to its full length? Seems like it could add delay or confusion to an actual OOA emergency.

I've grappled with this loose-7-foot-hose problem since I took a cavern class sometime pre-COVID. I'm 6'4" but with a long torso. When I looped the 7' hose around my head, it would never stay tucked in at my waist. Recently, I think I hit upon a solution. I started tucking it inside both my belt and the chest buckle on my Transpac. This has kept it in place because the chest strap is tighter than the belt/crotch strap. I've practiced pulling it out from there for a simulated share air drill, and it seems to come out clean--I think cleaner than if I had it hung up on a sheath or other object on my waist. Is there a downside to my solution I should know about?

(At my last command in the military, I had a wise command master chief available to tell me discreetly--before I announced them publicly-- why my brilliant ideas for innovations were either a) not new, having been tried and proven ineffective in the past, or b) new but stupid because they would cause other problems I hadn't anticipated. I now rely on Scubaboard to fulfill this role for diving-related issues.)

When I looped the 7' hose around my head, it would never stay tucked in at my waist. Recently, I think I hit upon a solution. I started tucking it inside both my belt and the chest buckle on my Transpac. This has kept it in place because the chest strap is tighter than the belt/crotch strap.

Would you mind posting a photo of this arrangement (not sure I'm picturing this right)?

It sounds like much of the hose length would be trapped under the backpack buckle at the chest. Such that deploying the regulator and a couple feet of hose is easy, but deploying the entire longhose would require you to unclip the chest buckle in before that length would be available. Do I have that right, or have I misunderstood?

Would you mind posting a photo of this arrangement (not sure I'm picturing this right)?

It sounds like much of the hose length would be trapped under the backpack buckle at the chest. Such that deploying the regulator and a couple feet of hose is easy, but deploying the entire longhose would require you to unclip the chest buckle in before that length would be available. Do I have that right, or have I misunderstood?

Brett,
I don't have a picture, but from your question, I think you understand how I have it rigged.
The first couple feet are easy: those come as soon as I grab my regulator and free the loop around my neck, same as for the guys who have it snagged on something at their waist. Trapped may be too strong a word to describe the hose's situation under the buckle at the chest. Yes, there is a bit of tension on the hose where it's in contact with my chest and the chest strap of the bc, but it's not enough to keep me from being able to pull it out in one clean motion. It takes about as much force as to pull a belt from a pair of jeans. Does that make sense?

If by chance it became tighter than I expected, once I complete the regulator exchange and start breathing from my secondary, I could unbuckle the chest strap easily enough. There'd be time because I don't want to let the recipient use the full 7-feet until I know everyone is breathing and mentally prepared to begin a calm, slow ascent. But I really don't think I'd need to.

@Scraps hooking the bight is intentional and it certainly does prevent you from deploying the full length of the hose. Intentionally. When you are in a gas sharing situation, you don't need to deploy the full length instantly so it requires intentional motions to deploy the full length.
Clipping behind your chest strap can cause issues if you use a traditionally located canister light, but if it makes you feel better I'm not sure I'd really have any serious objections to it. I wouldn't do it, but it's mainly because I don't have any issues that would cause me to seek tha tsolution.

(At my last command in the military, I had a wise command master chief available to tell me discreetly--before I announced them publicly-- why my brilliant ideas for innovations were either a) not new, having been tried and proven ineffective in the past, or b) new but stupid because they would cause other problems I hadn't anticipated. I now rely on Scubaboard to fulfill this role for diving-related issues.)

@Scraps, this made me laugh. I wasn't in the military, but I had exactly this experience when I took my tech training. I had several "great" ideas that I told my instructor about. He quickly pointed out why they weren't so great!

Back to your actual question, one simple solution for you might be to just go to a longer hose. I'm not as tall as you, but I've got an 8' hose on one of my regs and the longer loop definitely stays better tucked in my waist belt.

@Scraps hooking the bight is intentional and it certainly does prevent you from deploying the full length of the hose. Intentionally. When you are in a gas sharing situation, you don't need to deploy the full length instantly so it requires intentional motions to deploy the full length.
Clipping behind your chest strap can cause issues if you use a traditionally located canister light, but if it makes you feel better I'm not sure I'd really have any serious objections to it. I wouldn't do it, but it's mainly because I don't have any issues that would cause me to seek tha tsolution.

That makes sense. Thanks.

@Scraps, this made me laugh. I wasn't in the military, but I had exactly this experience when I took my tech training. I had several "great" ideas that I told my instructor about. He quickly pointed out why they weren't so great!

Back to your actual question, one simple solution for you might be to just go to a longer hose. I'm not as tall as you, but I've got an 8' hose on one of my regs and the longer loop definitely stays better tucked in my waist belt.

I may just do that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom