Glue on thigh pockets recommendation and advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

So I’ve been diving my seaskin ultra neoprene drysuit and really love it. I don’t see myself diving anything thicker than a 3 mm wetsuit from here on out. As a cost saving measure (read: because I’m an idiot) I didn’t have pockets added onto the suit, which I’m not regretting. So I’m looking for advice: does anyone have any recommendations for adding thigh pockets to a neoprene drysuit? Which pockets do you prefer and what’s the best application method?

is Diverite the way to go? https://www.divegearexpress.com/dive-rite-glue-on-thigh-pocket

h
as anyone tried the DGX pockets?
DGX Gears Glue-On Thigh Pocket

should I just get tec shorts?

@buddhasummer anywhere you know to buy in Japan?

I used diverite's strap-on pocket for several years until I bought a drysuit with pockets. Actually I still use it occasionally if I need to carry extra stuff in a wetsuit. I'm sure either of those pockets would be fine. Personally I wouldn't go with tec shorts on my drysuit. Seems like it might interfere with the suit's ability to expand somewhat.

I would try the second one and just glue it like the show in the video, it’s not like doing taxes, this should be very easy if you let it dry well before tugging on it to open. I much prefer zippered pockets in use.

I glued on a a dgx pocket to my 3mm wetsuit when I got it 7 years ago and glued on another pocket to my 7mm last year. The first one is definately showing its age and has started to pull away on the edges but is still fine to dive. I used two small tubes of Aqua seal and have been happy with it.

Plans B would be to buy a Deep 6 3mm suit for $150 and have one of the best Wetsuits out there with 2 pockets sewn on. I love mine. This is definately the best deal out there on a wetsuit.

3mm Deep 6 Wetsuit

Good luck,
Jay

I had the Light Monkey pocket glued onto my 7mm farmer john wetsuit and will be adding one to my next drysuit purchase

I put 2 of the $20 XS scuba pockets on my drysuit. I bought a big can of 620 adhesive, which turned out to be a wise choice because the pockets came with very small tubes of aquaseal. They seem to be holding up fine.

DGX used to sell 2mm neoprene shorts with a pair of those same pockets, the SKU for size small was DX-102501SM, I bought mine for $50 in June 2019. I don't see this on their website anymore, but if you call in, they might have a few still. It's a great product, the pockets are very usable, and the 3 metal D-rings on each one is super nice. Now I dive a drysuit in cold water that has its own pockets, so don't use the shorts anymore in cold water. At $19 apiece for DGX pockets, I see no reason to pay $63 for the DiveRite pockets.

And in warm water, I use my 3mm Deep6 wetsuit, which has pockets built in. I agree with @Jayfarmlaw, at $150, the suit is a total no-brainer, fantastic suit. Might sound silly to buy a whole new suit instead of just a pockets, but it's a really nice suit -- it would be crazytalk to buy a pair of the DiveRite pockets for $120 instead of a whole Deep6 suit for $150. All that being said, they only have sizes L and XL left, I'm glad I got a M when I could.

My drysuit's pockets have zippers, and I do find zippered pockets to be easier to use than Velcro, since they do not accidentally close when you want them to be open. My understanding is that zippered pockets are not DIR however, if that matters at all to you.

I would have loved to get a new 3 mil, but unfortunately I need short-sized wetsuits.

Back
Top Bottom