New Diver, First Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaydo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a fresh open water diver doing research on getting my first computer. I am wondering what other people's input on this is. I'm trying to figure out is I should get a "starter" computer like the mares puck pro plus or the deep 6 excursion. Or jump straight up to the shearwater peregrine or atmos mission one. I do like the larger screens due to easy readability however the watch size ones have a certain appeal. Any thoughts?

I prefer wrist ones for sure, with large numbers. I recently went to an air integrated one (haven’t tried it yet), that way all your information is right there at a glance. Depending on how much diving you plan on doing and your budget would depend on which model you go for.

What’s your budget?

I have a watch style computer at the moment (Mares Matrix). I don’t dislike it,but I would like to get a computer with a larger and nicer display someday. Ex. Shearwater Peregrine.

I think the Deep 6 Excursion sounds like a good option, if you want a reasonably priced watch style computer.

I’m a new diver as well and I got the Mares Nemo Wide. I use reading glasses so the screen size was a huge factor for me. So far I’m really happy for it and it’s only around $200.

there are common problems with most computers and like most buyers they dont realize them till after the buy.

do not buy a computer that you can not operate with out a book. The m;enue system has to be intuitive. If you cant find the nitrox menue you really dont have nitrox capability on demand.
the less buttons the better I prefer a 2 button system scroll and select
avoid computers that have things like push button 3 and hold for 5 seconds untill it beeps and then button 2 with in 3 seconds or it will revert back to start.
get one that you can read when your eyes start going far sighted
get one with a color screen so a red spot will get your attention
get one with a screen that is large for when your eyesight starts again to go bad.
AI is not necessary
Get one that the battery can be easily replaced by you in a couple of minutes.
Get one that uses common batteries such as a AA
Gerrt a computer that has large buttons so you can operate it with gloves on even in warm water when gloves are used for contact protection. Watch straps are nice and common but when they break you most often have to get the factory one aND IT WITH THE CHANGE IS COSTLY.
Get a computer that you can update the firmware with bluetooth. NO DONGLES you loose them and they are costly.
Cant speek for all computers but I have found the electronic compas is more reliable than the mechanical compass. but it is not necessary
Talk to others regarding algorythms. I use buhlman 16c I also use Gradient factors to make dive decisions wsioth but that is a personal thing.
Nicety but not necessary. a computer app to upload dives to.
Dont let cost be an issue. you can buy 3-4 computers until you get teh one that works best for you or you can buy one time with good for thought of your needs.
There are computers that have technical modes available. If you know you will never need it dont pay for it and not use it.
Get a computer that has good service. The more stuff your computer does ( compass, AI) the less the battery life is.

Thats about all I can think of off hand

Here is what I use. shearwater predator , petrel 1 and 2's I think the other wrist non watch computers from them are probably just as good. that would be perdix and the new one that has no tech mode for half the cost of the others. I dont think a teric would work for me as I am far sighted and dont like multiple small buttons. My primary is the petrel 2. the buttons arfe like 3/4 " wide buttons 2 of them scroll and select.

I have used several aeris computers probably 4 of them. difficult menus, multi small buttons. cable dongle always different one for each computer at 100$+ each. needed a book to do nitrox changes or connect to the desktop.

I use shearwaters but there are others that share some or many of the same qualities as them.

There are going to be many things you will never think of when deciding. such as how do you handle changes in altitude diving. My shearwater does it for me so long as I turn it on prior to hitting the water. With out people to tell you these things you will never know. Others have to have a configuration setting change for altitude or barometric pressure input. My depth sensor is also the altitude sensor. I turn it on and it samples teh barometric pressure to determine what pressure is zero feet depth. Ask others how things are done and what things are in the view of others to be difficult. Down load some operator manuals and get a feel of how they work and how easy or difficult it is to navigate through them. Especially if you are not diving daily such that hard navigation is fresh in memory. You tube has some great presentations that will help you make decisions.

Regards.

I chose the Deep 6 Excursion because it was inexpensive and didn't overwhelm me with information. I get good basic info for my recreational dives. It also will serve as my backup computer whenever I decide to get the bigger/better/faster computer down the road. I'm just getting back into diving after a very long hiatus, so I want to make sure I really enjoy diving again before putting a ton of money into gear...

The first rule of Scubaboard, If it doesn't say Shearwater...your'e gonna die, probably be ass raped by a nurse shark too...

My first computer was a Oceanic Proplus 2.x. I loved it an the air integration made me a better diver utilizing the air time remaining feature and adjusting my depth to finish with the group. If you can find a used ProPlus, it would save you some money to upgrade later.

I would still be using my Proplus but Santa brought me a Shearwater Perdix AI. There is no comparison between the two, but you definitely get what you pay for with Shearwater.

I'm not a fan of the puck...I have one as a back up and for students.

I am a fan of just about anything Deep 6 makes, but I dont know anything about their computers. I do not believe they have air integration though.

Good luck with your search,

Jay

If I was a new diver, having done my homework, I would buy a Peregrine

There has been a poll about buying a rec computer. After ease of use, good UI, and readability, the most important variable was the deco algorithm Single most important factor in choosing a recreational dive computer You can make a liberal computer more conservative, but you cannot make conservative computer more liberal. Other than perhaps DSAT, I would opt for Buhlmann. Three of the 4 computers you list run this algorithm.

If you are on a budget, you can't beat the D6 Excursion. One would like to hope the lack of apps and a NDL planner will be taken care of soon. It handles deco in an unusual way, of no concern to rec divers. The Mission One currently costs the same as the Peregrine, it was previously available at a discount. Some of the features of the M1 appear desirable, however, Shearwater has the best service record in the industry. Some of the features on the SW, such as SurfGF, have proved incredibly valuable to me.

Best of luck in your purchase

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom