Octopus Fight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slow

Contributor
Reaction score
Sea of Cortez dive trip with the Rocio Del Mar last month. A typical dive on this trip was a fair amount of looking at rocks, lots of current, visibility <30 feet, then something SUPER COOL, then more rocks.

This is one of the SUPER COOL things we saw...two octopuses (mating?) and a 3rd came in and started a fight. This video is of a good chunk of the fight...

I could be seeing it wrong, but is the octopus on the left at the beginning of the video missing an arm or two?

I could be seeing it wrong, but is the octopus on the left at the beginning of the video missing an arm or two?

My eyes agree with yours...there does appear to be at least one missing arm.

I'm so glad octopuses aren't really big.

Great video!

One thing I really hate is when I'm filming something with my gopro and every other diver has their lights and strobes ruining the shot.

One thing I really hate is when I'm filming something with my gopro and every other diver has their lights and strobes ruining the shot.

This video was actually shot by a buddy (who asked me to post it for him) and that's my light you see sometimes on the octopuses as I'm shooting stills. :wink:

This video was actually shot by a buddy (who asked me to post it for him) and that's my light you see sometimes on the octopuses as I'm shooting stills. :wink:

Why did you ruin his video!?!?! :D

I have great shots of Goliath groupers in florida during the seasonal aggregation. Everyone of those videos is pretty much useless because of the strobes of photographers who think they are the only person on the dive. My best videos are reef creatures I've seen when I'm not with a group larger than 2 including myself.

But that octo fight was incredible... like discovery channel incredible.

Why did you ruin his video!?!?! :D

I have great shots of Goliath groupers in florida during the seasonal aggregation. Everyone of those videos is pretty much useless because of the strobes of photographers who think they are the only person on the dive. My best videos are reef creatures I've seen when I'm not with a group larger than 2 including myself.

But that octo fight was incredible... like discovery channel incredible.

Fortunately, I don't think you notice my strobe anywhere...just my flashlight. And, as you say, fortunately the video turned out great anyway. I'm so glad to have good video of it so I can remember it happening a couple feet from my face. Discovery Channel has nothing on that. :)

Bummer to have your grouper video ruined though...there were only 2 of us in on the octo fight because everyone else from our group wimped out on that dive (the previous dive had been a total blank and was at the same dive site). ALWAYS go on the 2nd dive at a site...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom