Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I came across a case of 40 mm anti-aircraft in Newport, RI. There was a AAA school nearby. Single shells are not un common, but this was a whole case.
326B5FBE-E177-43FD-9A11-BF14B635BC33.jpeg
FC7458C2-853A-4C96-984C-250BD2EC2500.png

I came across a case of 40 mm anti-aircraft in Newport, RI. There was a AAA school nearby. Single shells are not un common, but this was a whole case.
View attachment 609004 View attachment 609006

A case was 4 clips of 4 rounds 16 to a case. Looks like you found a clip of 4. Cases were a common find back in the 1970's. The sand must have gotten moved uncovering those. What did you do with them? Those things are as stable as a broom stick. 40 years ago we would remove the bullet from the case and use the powder to start campfires. Wet wood no problem. :)

A case was 4 clips of 4 rounds 16 to a case. Looks like you found a clip of 4. Cases were a common find back in the 1970's. The sand must have gotten moved uncovering those. What did you do with them? Those things are as stable as a broom stick. 40 years ago we would remove the bullet from the case and use the powder to start campfires. Wet wood no problem. :)
The case is mostly buried in the sand and the rust has mostly fused them together.

That's pretty cool. I was born in Newport RI (Navy brat) and always thought it would be cool to dive there.
BTW love the Sea Hunt quote, my buddy and I used to end his dive videos by ad-libbing a Sea Hunt sign off.

I found a nice fishing pole with a reel and some brand new sawzall blades yesterday. When I worked on charter boats back in the 90's I would find lots of dive knives, lights, single fins, masks, weight belts and the occasional dive computer. Sometimes I would be able to return the item otherwise I would sell them.

The case is mostly buried in the sand and the rust has mostly fused them together.

Rust, where? Those are brass cases. Maybe the stripper clips or the projectiles might have ferrous metal in them.

One time I found a very nice dive light that another diver must've lost. Asked around after the dive, no one claimed it so I kept it.

Hey! I lost a very nice dive light...

Back
Top Bottom