Truth Aquatics back in business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jridg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I heard this past weekend that they were running trips again - the website is back up - I see trips posted starting in May (appear to be chartered. don’t see open trips) - and they have a link to schedule charters....

Any insights?

My LDS has a charter for October. I was wondering if anyone knows if any changes have been made to the two remaining boats?

My LDS has a charter for October. I was wondering if anyone knows if any changes have been made to the two remaining boats?
I would think so. The Coast Guard is making every charter operator change their escape layout.

I would think so. The Coast Guard is making every charter operator change their escape layout.
*hijack possibilities, I apologize* Do you know if this is a fix it now/soon sort of thing or fix it before some date in 2024? That is cynicism for the government, not directed at operators. The Mrs is very interested in a US based live a board later next year. Cabin/berth layout will have to be verified with her beforehand. Multiple, plausible points of egress will be a req.

I am no longer tight in the dive industry as I once was, but I know at least one boat in key west that had to do “something” before they could sail and 2 others who decided the required changes weren’t economically feasible and threw in the towel.

My LDS received a letter from Glen at TA yesterday stating their October trip was cancelled due to COVID-19. It mentioned that they were appealing the coast guard ruling of no more double bunks stemming from the fire but gave COVID as the reason for the cancellation. They were hoping to reopen after COVID.

Then there is this article that came out today. Criminal charges loom in California boat fire that killed 34

If I ran the most dangerous dive charter operation in the entire world I would blame COVID too.

And you've been on board any of the Truth Aquatics boats? I have been on them all including the Conception.

If I ran the most dangerous dive charter operation in the entire world I would blame COVID too.
The word you’re looking for is deadly, not dangerous. And, for perspective, look up Wave Dancer. In either case, the captain made terrible decisions. The boat didn’t really enter into it, as hundreds of safe, successful charters had been run from both boats before all of the passengers died.

But most liveaboard customers spend a very minimum amount of time looking at the safety record of the captain and make their diving decision based on important things like the price of the charter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom