Recommendations for fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Seawing Novas and the Avanti Quattros hands down the Quattros are a better fin for me. I also have a set of full foot Quattros for warm water diving that have now replaced my Omer long Fins as they are easier to travel with but are still great in current. I kind of have a fin hoarding issue!

I have the Seawing Novas and the Avanti Quattros hands down the Quattros are a better fin for me. I also have a set of full foot Quattros for warm water diving that have now replaced my Omer long Fins as they are easier to travel with but are still great in current. I kind of have a fin hoarding issue!

Good info - can you please share what you like better about the Quattros and why someone (who might not be you) might like the Seawing Novas? There are definitely people in both camps who love each. I only own the Quattros but it is interesting to get feedback from someone who owns both. Thanks!

Good info - can you please share what you like better about the Quattros and why someone (who might not be you) might like the Seawing Novas? There are definitely people in both camps who love each. I only own the Quattros but it is interesting to get feedback from someone who owns both. Thanks!

I feel the Quattros are a more efficient fin and what I mean by that is less effort input but greater output. I frog kick most of the time and the Quattros just need a small flick compared to the Novas full kick for the same glide. I use my Novas working will classes as I'm not moving around as much and they are a little shorter. Current is where for me the difference really shows as the Quattros i can hold position with little effort but with the Novas me legs get tired quicker as I'm kicking harder to hold position to look at something or hold my safety stop.

I feel the Quattros are a more efficient fin and what I mean by that is less effort input but greater output. I frog kick most of the time and the Quattros just need a small flick compared to the Novas full kick for the same glide. I use my Novas working will classes as I'm not moving around as much and they are a little shorter. Current is where for me the difference really shows as the Quattros i can hold position with little effort but with the Novas me legs get tired quicker as I'm kicking harder to hold position to look at something or hold my safety stop.

This is great. Thanks!

My preference is the Cressi Reaction.

I can flutter kick, frog kick, and reverse kick efficiently in them. My only problem is that my wife's pair doesn't fit her drysuit boots so she has stolen my set. I have resorted to using an old set of Cressi Frog fins, they work well too except they are much stiffer than the Reactions and cause my feet and calves to occasionally cramp. I am constantly on the lookout for an extra pair of reactions in my size to replace the ones my wife has bogarted.

-Z

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I did get the chance to try the Seawing Novas and the Avanti Quattros from other students in the pool during my rescue course. I liked that the Seawing Novas have a really efficient flutter kick, but the Quattros are not far behind for flutter kicks and are more effective frog kicking, and so in conjunction with the response in this thread, I got myself a pair of Avanti Quattros. I've used them for 5 dives over the last couple of days, and they have been great.

I have used Mares Avanti Quattros and other Mares fins [ Power Plana] for years, BUT it was time to see what's out there.
I now own 2 sets of NEW fins, dived them both and they are great,1: Aqualung Storm I use with 3mm socks, great travel fins [also great on a wreck dive ] light, easy on off and surprised me with more then enough power for a short fin, very nice. 2: Mares excite pro , another great fin from Mares, plenty of power [when you need it] easy to fin with and you can do any of the weird kicking styles you like [that's for another post].

The diverites and the quatros and the jets and the deep six and the novas are all the best fins
but I think for good weight and stiffness and pocket size the most normal fin is the mares stuff
but it has to be rubber straps it's the clicking when I tighten them for rough or loose for smooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom