Cozumel diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone give some insight to the weather in Coz the next couple of weeks?

It seems like scattered thunderstorms daily and I'm wondering how this effects the diving.

It seems like scattered thunderstorms daily and I'm wondering how this effects the diving.

Weather forecasts here are not like in the states. There is a tropical something coming in this general direction - I think 36-48 hours from now, we'll know a small amount more but the last one a few weeks ago was dead center on Cozumel 24 hrs before hand and shifted east and missed us completely - it was a beautiful day.

Normal weather may call for rain but it is rarely more than 60 minutes - the day after the storm that missed us, it rained all day - a rarity.

Diving continues as long as there's no lightning.....

Weather forecasts here are not like in the states. There is a tropical something coming in this general direction - I think 36-48 hours from now, we'll know a small amount more but the last one a few weeks ago was dead center on Cozumel 24 hrs before hand and shifted east and missed us completely - it was a beautiful day.

Normal weather may call for rain but it is rarely more than 60 minutes - the day after the storm that missed us, it rained all day - a rarity.

Diving continues as long as there's no lightning.....

I second what ChuckP said (I was typing the same thing but he beat me to the punch). Some sort of brief rain is extremely common in the summer. If you are unlucky it might rain while you are on the boat, but you were going to get wet anyway :)

Here’s your CZM wippy dippy weather report....hot and humid during the days with chance of afternoon showers...this forecast is valid from May through September...July through September may see a hurricane or two....rain nor thunderstorms effect your diving unless your stuck during SI in a level three...carry your three iron!

Thanks, guys. That helped. If the boat goes, I go.

Thank you, ColoDale, for the wonderful trip reports and photos. This helps me get a dose of Coz after our trip was cancelled.

For the life of me, I cannot make any sense of the "Port Closures" in Coz.
During my Coz trip a couple of weeks ago, the port was closed on a gorgeous day with calm seas and a few high clouds.
The very next day, it was stormy and rainy with a few lightning strikes to the west. The sea was choppy. The port was open.

For the life of me, I cannot make any sense of the "Port Closures" in Coz.
During my Coz trip a couple of weeks ago, the port was closed on a gorgeous day with calm seas and a few high clouds.
The very next day, it was stormy and rainy with a few lightning strikes to the west. The sea was choppy. The port was open.

There was a tropical storm that was head dead center Cozumel - would have arrived that morning but during the night it shifted due East and ended up just missing Cancún. They had closed the passenger ferry and set curfew for 5pm the day before.

I think they felt that storm could have easily shifted back to the west - they left everything closed but by 2 or 3 they put curfew back to 10:30 like normal - it was precautionary.

When you watch your six o’clock news and look at the weather forecast with all that fancy radar - here, they send someone into the jungle to burn some incense and sacrifice a reptile to come up with a forecast.

I did landscaping and snow removal - I lived by what the Doppler radar showed. There’s a radar in Belize, a few in Cuba and one in Cancun that seem to never work - we look at the sky instead.....

For the life of me, I cannot make any sense of the "Port Closures" in Coz. During my Coz trip a couple of weeks ago, the port was closed on a gorgeous day with calm seas and a few high clouds. The very next day, it was stormy and rainy with a few lightning strikes to the west. The sea was choppy. The port was open.

Welcome to the ever changing Cozumel Port Captains or whatever they are called. As soon as one finally gets a clue and has experienced enough pressure from the entire water sports industry that water conditions on the west side of Coz are different from those off Cancun and such where reports come from and learns how to govern the unique port appropriately, another one seems to come in as a replacement and the entire industry starts all over trying to educate this new official. Rinse & Repeat.

I've personally experienced the port closed when on the west side of Coz the water may as well have been a flat sheet of glass but that new Port Captain was taking instructions from superiors out of Cancun or wherever that was exposed to the strong winds out of the east. Yup, I've also been out there when the port was open and our boat's Captain called the trip after the 1st dive as the sea continued to build until it was absolutely crazy to stay out there and NO ONE ON THE BOAT COMPLAINED when the trip was called as all were ready to get back to port before we ended up sick/swamped/sunk or crushing each other falling with tanks in that mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom