My Introduction to Sidemount Diving, as well as Training and Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I decided to go sidemount and shopped around for ideas and landed on sidemounting.com from many recommendations. I looked at numerous free videos and liked what I saw.

I contacted one of his instructors in Florida. I had the option to use his gear or buy and bring. So you might be able to find an instructor in warmer water that can teach and has equipment already for students if you have not bought.

I bought anyway after a ton of research and did sidemount and cavern together. I added drysuit after. At any rate once I picked the path I went through the entire sidemounting.com course series prior to my first class and it made life a lot simpler. The instructor didn't have to drill as much into my head in a short time as I did my homework first.

Hi OctoHelm,
I don’t dive tech but have been recreational side mount for a few years and don’t know much about BP/W. I agree with all the advice given so far and would recommend Faber LP50 tanks for shore diving and at 2700psi in each you have about 112 cubic feet of gas.

I use the Dive Rite Nomad XT BCD and Dive Rite XT regs; I like both a lot. My back mount regs are Apeks DS4 and ATX40, and I service Apeks (soon Dive Rite). Both great regs and if you plan on taking your gear to a LDS for service, Apeks has free parts for life. I bought Dive Rite for side mount because I could dive them for 10 years paying for kits and be equal to Apeks in cost as I service regs so only need kits and they breathe great.

I recommend getting at least 100 more dive before starting tech. The agency does not matter its the instructor. talk to him before you do anything. Make sure he is a good fit. Ask your sidemount instructor on bcd and gear recommendations before buying. I bought my gear before the class. Do not go for the OMS Modular system. Get a sidemount bcd designed for sidemount only. I like xdeep stealth tec, hollis katana 2 is also nice.

Im not going to type a super long response since you’ve got some great advice already. I’ll concur that lp50s are fun little tanks and also are lighter in the water than 100s so its easier to switch between wetsuit and drysuit if needed. For more gas once you go tech, lp85 are great! I did my trimix and cave courses in 85’s.
Id go with a dedicated sidemount rig like xdeep, hollis etc..
I love sidemount, especially for caves but also when doing multiple checkout dives in a local quarry, but eventually i highly recommend you master both sidemount and backmount if you plan to go tec. That way you can choose the best set up for any given dive, and are better prepared to assist a buddy who has a different style rig than you.

Thank you all so much for your replies! This all has been incredibly useful! I will take another serious look at backmount. For backmount, what size of cylinder would I go for? Steel HP80's or LP85's? I do think that I will hopefully have 100 dives before I look at the GUE Fundamentals class. Hopefully I can get a Tech pass, but if I get a rec pass, then I should go and develop more skill before going back to hopefully get my tech pass. I need to be 18 for my Tech 1 class if I went the GUE route, so that gives me more time to get more dives and more importantly, more experience in before I go and take fundies. Thank you all so much! It really does mean a lot to me!

If you don't already have a tech instructor to work with and develop the proper skills you are better off taking fundies now. Easier to learn the proper thing first than to break bad habits down the line.

For backmount, it depends on what works for you in terms of how heavy they are to you. Which none of us know.

- HP80s are efficient in the gas they give you for their land weight, but sit high up so might affect trim
- LP85s/HP100s have dual use as sidemount tanks
- Steel 72s (used) are also an option. They are also light, because of being negative, and good sidemount tanks as well.
- AL63/80 require carrying extra lead.

Likely just the LP85s and HP100s are considered full size tec tanks. But you need not weigh down your back now while working up to full tec, plenty of chance for that later.

In the realm of tanks that work well for both, AL72 are liked for their small size and easy handling for sidemount, they are also closer to neutral. But for cold water, steel 72s likely make more sence.

Your cost that you quoted based on the gear you chose is rather high. Apeks makes great gear but it is very overpriced when buying in the U.S.

I am a sidemount instructor who specializes in sidemount. It is my passion and the config I use for all my fun dives. I would suggest looking closer at Deep 6 regs. They are rather inexpensive and are just top quality regs. I personally use them for sidemount, backmount (when I have to dive this way) and I use them as deco regs/ bailout regs for tech dives and CCR dives. You will be hard pressed to find a better reg at that price point.

I do understand wanting to support your LDS but you also need to consider what is best for for you.

As for the OMS...please do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a sm specific rig. I personally love the XDeep Stealth Tec but there other rigs out there that are also quite nice. If you go with a rig that does both BM and SM...you will end up regretting it and buying a SM specific rig eventually so cut out the disappointment and go right for the SM specific rig. XDeep, the Katana 2 (too much padding and extra bits from what I have seen but I have heard great things) and the Razor.

Don’t blow all that cash on new regs. Buy used and have them serviced. You can get a mk10/g250 for around $100 or less. When you add up needing two sets and service it’s about $300 and they’re regs that are tough to beat. My mk10/g250s from the 80s/90s are much better than my newer regs

Rddvet is correct. Go and find a used set of regs. Mk 10's are great. I have some 20 year old Dive Rites, they work fine. I have a 40 year old SAS Sub II, it works fine. I have old US Divers Conshelfs, they work fine, they are my open water regs.

Back
Top Bottom