Interested in selling used tanks to local Pawn Shop(s), any tips/experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok then , my $500 initial pricing is 1/2 the new price = 50% value , admittedly mine are out of hydro though. So far I've received 2 SB member inquiries, so I'll see how those develop, see what offers/counter offers I get and move forward accordingly.

Not an unreasonable plan. You’d get even more response if you created a new thread in the for sale section. Tanks are popular, and that’s where people will go if they’re looking for them. And $500 for a set of doubles as a high start asking price isn’t terrible. I’d never pay it, but I’m also cheap! :)

But just remember, yours are worse than new in two ways: one, they are epoxy. Epoxy is nowhere near as good as the new hot dip galvanized. It’s not terrible, but there’s a reason Faber switched. Two, they are out of Hydro and viz. New ones have a recent Hydro and fresh viz. Factor that in, and they’re probably worth $400.

That is, unless you’re really patient, and there happens to be someone in your local area that really wants them. it certainly can happen! But probably not in a hurry.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you.

Not an unreasonable plan. You’d get even more response if you created a new thread in the for sale section. Tanks are popular, and that’s where people will go if they’re looking for them. And $500 for a set of doubles as a high start asking price isn’t terrible. I’d never pay it, but I’m also cheap! :)

But just remember, yours are worse than new in two ways: one, they are epoxy. Epoxy is nowhere near as good as the new hot dip galvanized. It’s not terrible, but there’s a reason Faber switched. Two, they are out of Hydro and viz. New ones have a recent Hydro and fresh viz. Factor that in, and they’re probably worth $400.

That is, unless you’re really patient, and there happens to be someone in your local area that really wants them. it certainly can happen! But probably not in a hurry.

I'm open to reason on my pricing, thanks for the perspective.

I get your points, but for the record Faber does still currently make and sell PAINTED tanks: (for example)

Faber High Pressure Steel Tank

...so Faber hasn't 'switched' from painted to galvanized, they 'added' galavanized as another option.

I wouldn't knock the epoxy if it's in good condition. Cave divers are the hardest on this paint, which does have a cold galvanized finish underneath, and the tanks last and last. Singles have the boots which are terrible for steel, but doubles can be shoe free and then they are just good tanks with or without paint.

I think the OP deserved a tiny bit of criticism but mostly in good fun, but he doesn't deserve endless dog piling over issues which are really quite minor. If someone told me my nice white LP85s are "no good" because they are white and not just galvanized, I'd tell them to pound sand, they are great tanks and I will have no trouble selling them if I lost my mind and wanted to sell them.

I wouldn't knock the epoxy if it's in good condition. Cave divers are the hardest on this paint, which does have a cold galvanized finish underneath, and the tanks last and last. Singles have the boots which are terrible for steel, but doubles can be shoe free and then they are just good tanks with or without paint.

I think the OP deserved a tiny bit of criticism but mostly in good fun, but he doesn't deserve endless dog piling over issues which are really quite minor. If someone told me my nice white LP85s are "no good" because they are white and not just galvanized, I'd tell them to pound sand, they are great tanks and I will have no trouble selling them if I lost my mind and wanted to sell them.

I agree on the dog piling. I think he gets it: further repeating won’t convey extra information.

I do want to say this: I didn’t say the epoxy was terrible. I said the HDG was much better. Does it matter if the HDG is better if the epoxy is good enough? Maybe not. But one factor on your cave tank observation: it’s fresh water. HDG/epoxy doesn’t matter in fresh. It *does* in salt. I’ve seen red iron rust streaks on epoxy tanks but never HDG. (They get chalky-white zinc oxide...). Salt is so much worse... Which is why I almost always rent tanks if I’m diving in saltwater... Even with HDG! :)

As for Faber still making epoxy: check the Hydro’s. I haven’t seen an epoxy with a 2019 or newer hydro. I don’t think they’re *making* more tanks. I think it’s just the pipeline... Steel Scuba tank volume is *small*: it takes a long time to use up the already-made tanks. I’m not certain, but I have reason to believe that is the case.

I have at least 7 painted fabers. They might have a tiny bit less resale value than a hot dipped tank, but there's never a direct tank type, age, value comparison anyway

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom