Recommendations for fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FluffyRabbit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I completed my OW certification about a month ago and have logged 13 dives so far. I am currently diving with Scubapro Wake fins which I bought for my OW class – they were relatively inexpensive at $60 and they do the job just fine, but I’m finding them pretty long and stiff, and the ratchet straps are not easy to take on and off.

A few things I am looking for:

- I currently dive in a 7mm wetsuit + hood/gloves/booties in SoCal, although may switch to a drysuit once I get more experience, and am looking for fins with suitable buoyancy characteristics
- I’d anticipate flutter kicking most of the time, but I’d like the fins to be suitable for both flutter kicks and frog kicks. I don’t have plans to do overhead environments for the foreseeable future, but if the fins work well for backfinning/helicopter turns/modified frog, that is a bonus
- I’m looking for fins that are efficient. I don’t necessarily need to go very fast, but I do want to be able to move at a reasonable speed while staying relaxed underwater
- Spring straps are preferred, although bungee straps would be good too
- Would be nice if they are compact enough in case I want to take them traveling, although this is less of a priority

The instructors and DMs at my LDS pretty much all dive with Scubapro Seawing Novas (some with the regular version, some with the Gorilla version), and they recommended I get the regular Seawing Novas. They are a bit on the pricey side, but if they really are as good as they say, then I don’t mind the cost. I'd rather buy a good pair upfront and avoid having to upgrade multiple times. I’m also considering the Mares Avanti Quattros+, Deep6 Eddy fins, and Dive Rite XT fins since they seem to be well reviewed around here.

Any advice is appreciated!

talking about the ones i used:
Quattros are great! Mine has about 20 years and still going well (the newer ones looks stiffer) just putted spring straps. Power and confort!

SP Twin jet max, was my favorite for some time, lots of speed and easy on knees and legs, but it's a split design, so not very maneuvre possibility (although it's possible to frog and turn with them, reverse can be made but not very easy), it's a bit cumbersome, and sometimes, speccially in doubles or multi tanks may lack power. The extra large foot is good with rock boots

Beuchat powerjet, a light fin, wich is good for travelling. Is an honest no frills fin, although lacks power on heavy gear. Very comfy

Poseidon trident (UTD, HOG 2, etc.) Lot of thrust, but not very easy on legs. Also feet heavy, and not so comfy, great for frog kick, not so on scissor.

Diverite my favorite, in fact the one i've been using on the last 2 years. Great all arounder, lots of power, confort, not the lightest, but really good on thrust. It's on the longer side, but i really get used to them, and see no reason for change now

I like my Deep 6 fins. If I’m taking my time sightseeing and have to catch up to my buddy (he can be a speed demon at times)...the acceleration (how id put it, lol) is good with the Eddy’s.

They’re nice and light compared to the Apeks RK3’s that they replaced. I would say that they’re travel friendly (if you’re worried about keeping your bag weight down).

As you’re toying with going to a drysuit though, you may want to give the Apeks RK3’s a look (they’re a good bit heavier).

I can't recommend the Avanti Quatros enough. They come with surgical tubing straps which act like bungee or spring straps, but are definately different. If you get the Quatros, the only thing I can add is to pick up a set of extra straps as a back up and throw them in your save a dive kit. I had one break after 6 years.

I have a set of jet fins that are faster, but they take ALOT of leg. The jets will MOVE some water, but if I'm in current and swimming hard, I will get cramps in my quads. I had a set of Atomic splits but gave them to a friend. I hate split fins...and if you dive splits, you will die. I warned him... It's a Scubaboard rule. I also have about 7 or 8 other fins that I have acquired over the years. The Quatros are the ones that get used.

Buy the Avantis....you will thank us. Just great all around fins.

Good luck,
Jay

I dive Avanti Quattros as my 'general, ,all-purpose' fin - my favorites are long freediving fins but those aren't always suitable. The quattros are my 'go to' when I need something else. They are comfortable and easy to use in a variety of conditions and with different fin kicks, hold up well to travel, and have a lot of power when needed.

We love our Tusa HYflex Switch fins, great for traveling and getting them to fit into baggage.

I have and love the Mares Avanti Quattro +. I am mostly a frog/modified frog kicker unless I need a fast burst of speed or in extremely strong current. I love them. These fins do fine for flutter but I have to admit, these are not the best fins for prolonged flutter unless you have very good stamina and strong legs. (Perhaps it is just me?) They are on the stiffer side. As others have suggested, you can purchase replacement fin straps. I switched mine to spring right away. You can keep the bungees as your spare or get another pair of spring fin straps as your backup. I highly recommend the XS Scuba/Highland ones. They come sized.

Another one that folks really like are the Seawing Novas. Those might be slightly better for flutter? Folks that dive dry also enjoy Scubapro Jetfins or the Deep 6 or Apeks RK3s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom