Interested in selling used tanks to local Pawn Shop(s), any tips/experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man I'd love to grab them but the drive to TX isn't really feasible. The out of hydro definitely diminishes the value or at least "sell-ability". For example.... I recently picked up a pair of banded/manifolded Worthington LP85s from the Bay Area for $300 (I just drove to pick them and did snuck in a dive or two in Monterey while I was up there). I could now sell them for double that here in San Diego now that they are in hydro (Hydro cost me $50 for the lot).

No debate that new hydros would be an added selling point, but they are 'doubles' so there's the extra work/costs accociated with disassembly/reassembly of the bands/manifolds on top of the hydro/vis costs and I have to pay retail prices for those services. A buyer who sells/tests tanks or is tight with a dive shop can avoid/minimize those extra charges so maybe I can attract such a buyer without the 'lure' of current hydros and bypass that cost. I'm well inland, only lakes/quarries are availble and mainly used for classes/training but are not 'real' diving destinations like Monterey, so I doubt a current hydro will suddenly double the selling price, just my opinion.

I'm not totally ruling it out, but I want to see how things go under my current 'plan', and reassess as needed. I'm willing to factor in the out-of-hydro in my pricing.

someone who sells/tests tanks or has in an in with a dive shop also frequently can get tanks cheaply through those same avenues. they have no incentive to buy your used tanks unless you want to get pennies on the dollar for them. hydro will not double the sale price, but it will move the tanks faster. else just take a loss and sell them cheap to move them quick.

someone who sells/tests tanks or has in an in with a dive shop also frequently can get tanks cheaply through those same avenues. they have no incentive to buy your used tanks unless you want to get pennies on the dollar for them. hydro will not double the sale price, but it will move the tanks faster. else just take a loss and sell them cheap to move them quick.

I appreciate all the different viewpoints/stratigies being offered, that is still my 'plan B' if needed, but I'll try plan A for a minute first.

If a credible local buyer were to offer me 2 prices, their non-hydro vs hydroed price, I could better judge the merit of me getting them hydroed, knowing it might delay the sale 2-3 weeks most likely.

Mine are much nicer than the average tanks they will encounter.

Mine are much nicer than the average tanks they will encounter.

I am sure that your tanks are nice, and this is not meant as a slam.

You mentioned $500 for the 85's earlier. Using myself in this example, because I plan to pick up another set of 85's in the future. By the time I was to pay $500 for the tanks, fuel and time to go pick them up, hydro and visuals, I would be very near the price of a brand new set of 85's shipped to my door. No, they would not have OMS bands or valves, but would be a brand new set.

This may be part of the problem. The last set of doubles that I bought that were out of hydro, I think I spent $250-$300.

DW

You mentioned $500 for the 85's earlier. Using myself in this example, because I plan to pick up another set of 85's in the future. By the time I was to pay $500 for the tanks, fuel and time to go pick them up, hydro and visuals, I would be very near the price of a brand new set of 85's shipped to my door. No, they would not have OMS bands or valves, but would be a brand new set.

This may be part of the problem. The last set of doubles that I bought that were out of hydro, I think I spent $250-$300.

DW
$250 for an out of hydro and VIP set of assembled doubles is about what I would expect or even on the high side. Not only are the hydro and VIP worth something to a buyer but the fact that they can't pop the valves and look inside an assembled set of doubles (even if they aren't currently in VIP) means they are taking a risk that the tanks are even passable at all. Your prospective buyer is taking on all the risk that you doubles are actually worthless so they will be valued accordingly.

DW

I'll admit I've been out of the market for a while, so for the sake of a reference point, what does a brand new comparable set of LP steel 85's cost ?

$250 for an out of hydro and VIP set of assembled doubles is about what I would expect or even on the high side. Not only are the hydro and VIP worth something to a buyer but the fact that they can't pop the valves and look inside an assembled set of doubles (even if they aren't currently in VIP) means they are taking a risk that the tanks are even passable at all. Your prospective buyer is taking on all the risk that you doubles are actually worthless so they will be valued accordingly.

So, what would be your price premium that YOU (if you were in the market) would offer between hydroed vs. non hydroed in this case?

I recently purchased a Blue Steel Faber LP 85 Steel Tank HD Galvanized for $289 (inc. delivery + valve)

I got burned once on some craigslist tanks by telling the seller to hydro them before I would buy. He took them to fire extinguisher place, and brought them to me with fresh hydro stamps. BUT...... no vis stickers, valves were off, and chock full of flash rust. Tumbling cost more than hydro. I should've just haggled a few bucks off and taken them as is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom