Just ordered new tanks - anything to note?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iyakonboats

Sound reasoning and science trumps your feelings
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're finally planning a much needed vacation and I'm going back home for it (South Florida). This being said, since we're in Houston and driving to Panama City for shore dives and some boat dives, and the fact we're planning on moving back home to Florida, I dove right in and bought six tanks.

I bought six of these: Blue Steel Faber FX Series HP Steel Scuba Tank Silver. Other than just buying some new colored dust caps to differentiate ourselves on the boats, anything else I should look at buying or be aware of?

Here is the link to exactly what I bought: Blue Steel Faber FX Series HP Steel Scuba Tank Silver

Also, they are 133cu

Sharpie your name on the neck of the tank.

Maybe consider putting one of the big obnoxious Nitrox stickers on each tank. People hate them in South Florida (people commented on mine everywhere I went). Probably about as good a security measure as a manual transmission in a car or truck.:D

17 liters !
A big too heavy for me. I own the Faber 15 liters, and I find it just perfect for recreational diving.
I did never understand those smallish 80 cu ft, I only used them for my children.

My advice is to mark your name on them and number them 1-6 just to keep track of maintenance or problem issues. Also, right away.. remove the boots and then drill about 20 small holes maybe 1/8" ? all over the bottom of the boot. The single hole int he center is insufficient to effectively drain and flush saltwater. Those painted tanks are very vulnerable to corrosion there, especially in Florida, hot and humid.

I have a couple of those. Great tanks overall. They are big and heavy, but not really an issue in the water. If diving with a group, you may need to ascend well before your air is close to exhausted. If others are using 80s, you might be able to use the same tank for two dives.

The only thing to be aware of is the diameter. These are 8” where the most common are 7.25”. Usually not an issue, but you might just want to ensure that a charter can accommodate 8” tanks. The only time that might be an issue is if they use fixed Roll Control racks. I use the adjustable ones on my boat, and have them set in between. Tight fit for my 8”tanks, and a loose fit for the 7.25” tanks. Just not loose enough that there is a risk of them coming loose.

Rinse them when done diving!! Drill the holes like mentioned!!

On my Faber steel tank I use since several years a proper protection net. This keeps the rubber boot distanced from the surface of the cylinder, ensuring proper draining of water.
It has also several other advantages: the surface of the cylinder becomes not-slippery, hence the bands fixing it to the backplate are not so easy to slip away.
In case the cylinders falls on an hard floor the net provides some soft material between steel and concrete.
Various colours are available, making easier to identify cylinders with different purpose (or different gas).
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.it/Immersione-con-Bottiglia-Rossa-12lt/dp/B0013ND096

61aPCRK0nCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I do not find them on the Amazon-US web site.

Thanks for the note on numbering them for maintenance/issues, I didn't think about that, it'll make it easier in the long run. I'll also drill those holes in the boot. As far as the size and weight, compared to the 100cu, it was about 8lbs more, but this also means just carrying less weight too. I figured if we noticed 8lbs we should probably focus on different muscle groups in the gym or we're procrastinating too long to get into the water, but I also imagine going to side mount, something we're looking at, makes it just that much easier in the long run, right?

Now I did NOT know about the 8" concern, very good advice, I'll call the charters I've scheduled to ensure they can handle it.

Also, for the valves, is there any reason to get the black coated valve from XS Scuba?

As far as the size and weight, compared to the 100cu, it was about 8lbs more, but this also means just carrying less weight too.

You actually will carry more weight than a HP100 because the large steel tanks are more buoyant than the smaller ones, you need about 2lbs more weight with a HP133 vs a HP100.

Back
Top Bottom