Interested in selling used tanks to local Pawn Shop(s), any tips/experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got rid of some stuff at a pawn shop recently. Similar story to you...I didn’t want to deal with Craigslist listings. Not a single employee of the pawn shop (there were three employees) had a mask on, despite a local ordinance requiring them.

Privacy wise...you sell something at a pawn shop, you have to hand over your drivers license, which includes your address.

You meet up with a stranger from Craigslist at a public parking lot...they have your first name and telephone number. That’s all (unless you’re in a thriller...in which case they get your license plate number, hack into the DMV, get your address, and come by your place and take the rest of your scuba gear).:D

I have a set of the 76's. Also known as 75.5s. My absolute favorite sidemount cylinders for anything down to 160 ft or so.
I've known people to drive a few hundred miles to pick up a good set of LP85's at a decent price. Whatever shop you contacted is one of those that will probably go out of business, and frankly should. They want to screw over customers.
That guy they sell the used set of doubles to is also usually the one that will come back time after time because they helped him out one time.

Too bad you're not closer to Dallas/Ft. Worth, the 76's are 'Excellent' condition, the 85's are 'Mint'!

I got rid of some stuff at a pawn shop recently. Similar story to you...I didn’t want to deal with Craigslist listings. Not a single employee of the pawn shop (there were three employees) had a mask on, despite a local ordinance requiring them.

Privacy wise...you sell something at a pawn shop, you have to hand over your drivers license, which includes your address.

You meet up with a stranger from Craigslist at a public parking lot...they have your first name and telephone number. That’s all (unless you’re in a thriller...in which case they get your license plate number, hack into the DMV, get your address, and come by your place and take the rest of your scuba gear).:D

I'm Ok with giving pawn shop my ID, as I know they keep records in case the police are dealing with stolen goods, don't want the random public knowing any personal details though.

I know you're teasing about 'the rest of my scuba gear', but I will say I've spent the last year investing HEAVILY in 'home defense' and I'll leave it at that.

I second @runsongas suggestion of breaking them down into singles and selling them with fresh hydros.
One thing you need to change is your attitude about not wanting to put another dime or minute of effort into selling those tanks. Making money is not free, it takes effort. In your case you’ll have a little time invested and some hydros which you will get your money back on instantly because the tanks will be 100% sale-able to anybody interested and you can hold a firm price. There will be no question as to whether they are any good or not. I’ve bought and sold many tanks, mostly steel 72’s. I run a steel 72 rescue center :).
I didn’t mean to sound like I was coming down hard on you, but dude!
A little effort pays a lot more.
Make a road trip to wild fire country (northern Ca) our dive shop would snap those babies up in a split second. They love used gear. But not as doubles.
While you’re at it you can take a tour of wine country and take in one of our beautiful Smokey maroon sunsets while sipping the latest barrel tasting of our “smoked Cabernet” special fire reserve.

Faber 85's are one of the most versatile tanks, perfect for single tank, doubles, or sidemount. I don't know how you managed to spend $1500 on them new but I've also never bought a new tank. In hydro with a quality manifold and bands, very most you could ask is around $500. That is pretty much the standard asking price for used doubles. But out of hydro with quality gear, $400. Out of hydro with unknown quality gear, $350 is pushing it.

I've never heard of LP 76's but there's a lot I've never heard of...if they happened to be older 72's, $200 is probably reasonable. HP80's with skinny neck, same. HP80's with 3/4" neck, should be priced like the LP85's.

I don't get the opposition to listing them for sale, especially when the other option is to give them away for free. There are many facebook groups for buying and selling, for general items or scuba especially. I'd be willing to drive 4 hours for a set of $300 LP85 doubles, and I already have around 25 tanks sitting around. You can never have enough lp85's.

It's better just to never stop tech diving, that way the gear can retain whatever value you think in your head. The real challenge is when you told your significant other that they only cost $300 to begin with.

A good friend told me "I have never not regretted selling one of my tanks."

It's easy to spend $ 1500 on a pair of LP Faber 85's when you add it all up: 2 tanks / OMS bands/manifold/valves, priced at full retail with sales taxes. I was a pretty new diver back then when anything seemed possible, so I fell into wanna-be tech-diver trap, throwing $ at whatever the LDS said I needed...they needed/wanted the revenue and weren't about to dissuade me from spending $$$ ! Turned out I'm really a casual/vacation diver with NO interest in caving/wreck penetration. I've got tons of nice HP galvanized steel single tanks (HP 100/120/130) and I'll happily dive those day or night/ open ocean/ as deep as 130-150', no problem, but I don't do anything with stages/sidemount/multi-gasses as the 'tech' diving represents too much work and I just want to have fun, keep it casual, and be on vacation, not feel like I'm planning a moon landing.

I second @runsongas suggestion of breaking them down into singles and selling them with fresh hydros.
One thing you need to change is your attitude about not wanting to put another dime or minute of effort into selling those tanks. Making money is not free, it takes effort. In your case you’ll have a little time invested and some hydros which you will get your money back on instantly because the tanks will be 100% sale-able to anybody interested and you can hold a firm price. There will be no question as to whether they are any good or not. I’ve bought and sold many tanks, mostly steel 72’s. I run a steel 72 rescue center :).
I didn’t mean to sound like I was coming down hard on you, but dude!
A little effort pays a lot more.
Make a road trip to wild fire country (northern Ca) our dive shop would snap those babies up in a split second. They love used gear. But not as doubles.

Hi Eric, at the moment for me your suggestion is 'plan B', not ruled out but not 'plan A'. First I'll try out something like Leisurepro or Play-It-Again-Sports to see where that gets me, then reaccess as needed.

2 folks have PM'ed me, I have replied to both tonight, meanwhile more information on my tanks for anyone considering them:

85's LP Fabers/OMS DIN valves/manifolds/bands, + rated
original hydro manufacture date 09/02 / last hydro date: 07/14 (still + rated)
out of current hydro / stored with air
color: tan grayish paint (standard OMS factory color) (no rust)
I'm the original retail owner/purchased new at LDS, early 2000's
Have never seen salt water, under 10 lake/quarry dives.

76's LP Fabers/Scubapro DIN valves/Scubapro manifold/Highland bands + rated
original hydro manufacture date 01/99 / last hydro date: 07/14 (still + rated)
out of current hydro / stored with air
color: Black paint (no rust)
I bought these used, early 2000's.
I don't know their prior dive history (purchased used) but they never saw salt water and did less
than 10 lake/quarry dives under my ownership.

Man I'd love to grab them but the drive to TX isn't really feasible. The out of hydro definitely diminishes the value or at least "sell-ability". For example.... I recently picked up a pair of banded/manifolded Worthington LP85s from the Bay Area for $300 (I just drove to pick them and did snuck in a dive or two in Monterey while I was up there). I could now sell them for double that here in San Diego now that they are in hydro (Hydro cost me $50 for the lot).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom