Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starting the tech diving route will be gear intensive. The regulator is only one part of the equation and depending on what you are diving with now it could be as simple as buying another first stage so you have two independent regulators.

Also depending on your reason for going tech will need to decide your gear set up (backmount vs sidemount). This will influence the type of regulator that will be best suited for that diving. Recommend finding an Intro to Tech / Discover Tec class with an instructor/
shop who will let your borrow different types of gear to see what kind tech diver you want to become. Those regulators you asked about are designed for doubles backmounted diving.

I don’t like the 25x series as it is a left / right regulator. The 72x or 75x would be a better choice for a Mares reg. I use 72x’s first stages for both my backmount and sidemount rigs. It has a really flexible port arrangement with all hoses being able to be positioned perfectly.

I have used the first stages down to 300 feet and they performed flawlessly.

if you believe so, fine but the problem is more about gas density than about "underperforming regs"

And I assume you say this from personal experience using poor quality regs at depth? Or do you just need a little more gas (He) in your mix?

I didnt see the OP, nor I, specifically referring to deep air diving, but that's what you seem to have inferred by my reply. Deep 'tech' divers should be using top quality regs / low WOB regs if diving deep on gas too. And I don't just 'believe so', I know so.

But hey, some people are proud of using their oldest, first ever bought, open water certed reg at depth. But I wasn't.

I have 4 of these first stages driving either Dive Rite or old chrome US Divers second stages. They work just fine. Can't comment on the second stages.

And I assume you say this from personal experience using poor quality regs at depth? Or do you just need a little more gas (He) in your mix?
I didnt see the OP, nor I, specifically referring to deep air diving, but that's what you seem to have inferred by my reply. Deep 'tech' divers should be using top quality regs / low WOB regs if diving deep on gas too. And I don't just 'believe so', I know so.
But hey, some people are proud of using their oldest, first ever bought, open water certed reg at depth. But I wasn't.
All modern (and even a lot of old) regulators are all fine if they are properly matched, adjusted and used with the proper gas needed at the depth they are used.
Hype and markering are quite convincing to make people confuse " want" and "need".

Not being snobby but I would never use the terms "Upgrade" and "Mares" in the same sentence (unless it was "upgrading from Mares....").
One of the three regs that passed the US Navy cold water test is a Mares IIRC the Abyss Navy. But it’s hard to find a bad modern Western reg these days for other purposes than ice diving. It might be good to buy a reg that can be oxygen cleaned, so you can have just one type of reg eventually.

All modern (and even a lot of old) regulators are all fine if they are properly matched, adjusted and used with the proper gas needed at the depth they are used.
Hype and markering are quite convincing to make people confuse " want" and "need".
There are few that are less than desirable. I love my SP Mk2 and a r190 combo as a deco reg. But I dont care how much helium is in my breathing gas, I would not use it at 90m.

There are few that are less than desirable. I love my SP Mk2 and a r190 combo as a deco reg. But I dont care how much helium is in my breathing gas, I would not use it at 90m.
yes, it is good to have a better combo:) but doesn't mean the mk2 and the r190 are intrisically bad.
The op wants to "upgrade to tech". Personally, I don't think he needs to do that right now as there are a lot of things to "upgrade" in the learning first and having "tech" regs doesn't make someone more whatever
And regarding the mk2, i like it too and I take it quite deep but not combined with a r190, i agree with you:):)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom