Where to put octo BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PghDiver089

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good afternoon. I am new to diving with a BP&W. I purchased a Halcyon Infinity BP&W. I cannot really find a good place to put the octopus. Anyone have suggestions? The way Halcyon tells you to set it up, the d rings are near your shoulders making a little harder to reach in a hurry. Where does everyone keep there's at?

On a necklace

To help clarify the previous response:

Many choose to do primary donate on a long(er) hose with their "octopus" being on a short hose kept directly under their mouth for their own immediately accessible use.

To expand on the above, bp/w is traditionally a tech setup, where you would have a long hose primary that you would donate. The secondary, which is for you, is on a necklace rig around your neck, just below your chin.

As bp/w gets more common for recreational divers, that expectation may be changing.

If you want to dive a recreational regulator configuration, just move the d ring (or install another one) to wherever it is comfortable to clip off your octo.

Good afternoon. I am new to diving with a BP&W. I purchased a Halcyon Infinity BP&W. I cannot really find a good place to put the octopus. Anyone have suggestions? The way Halcyon tells you to set it up, the d rings are near your shoulders making a little harder to reach in a hurry. Where does everyone keep there's at?
With my Halcyons, it routes under my right arm and attaches to my right chest D-ring with a rubber snorkel holder to the base of the mouthpiece (right behind the ziptie). Can be released with a quick tug and it has never come loose on a dive so far. Simple to set up pre-dive and works well for me!

If you put the D-rings in the recommended location, they are very easy to reach.

dr.JPG

I prefer it on my right hip, but when doing classes, I move it to my chest (rightness shoulder D ring) so it is more visible.

The best thing about a Bp/w setup is that you make it yours...and when you make it yours, you will change it again and again until it is perfect for you, then change it some more. Welded d rings, offset d rings, 20 d rings, no d rings, big wing, little wing, pockets, loops, buckles, snaps, pads, aluminum, steel, brass, red, blue, black, green, yellow, 1 , 1 1/2, 2 inch crotch strap, H tax, sex bolts, trip glides with teeth or without, thingamajiggys, dohickkies, left buckle, right buckle, Unless you subscribe to an agency that requires a specific set up...make it yours.

Good luck,
Jay

A necklaced reg with a short hose around the right side of my neck is best for me. No need to look for it under duress. You don't even know it's there but it is immediately below your chin and available with minimal extra movement or thinking.

Primary reg is on a longer hose (40-50 inches / 1m) that goes from the first stage under my right arm and straight up to my mouth. It's an OW and non-technical configuration that allows me some useful space between me and the anxious recipient of my primary. I think this keeps my work space less cluttered, allows for productive eye contact and hand signals and mitigates getting into a fin battle while I ascend.

pk-741003_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom