Mistral - To Grind, or Not to Grind; that is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there enough material to drill it out over sized then drop in a custom made correct size orifice? I'm thinking drill and tap it, then make an orifice out of delrin that matches the original. Easy to say sitting on my ass in comfort not knowing anything about machining.

We can always find something some stuff that we can agree on. :D
Just kidding, you know a lot more about machining than you give yourself credit. Now about the "easy to say while sitting on you ass"... that is what I am laughing about. :poke:

To the first question. Using a brass custom replaceable orifice is a possibility. I would have to look at my drawings to see about designing one, but I think I looked at it (about 9 years ago) and we determine there was no point due to the very low interest or potential market. At the time we thought that if we were going to modify a damaged Mistral, it made more sense to upgrade them to a balanced valve design. Even then the cost (and liability) to potential marked demand ratio, did not justify or made sense.

UPDATE: After further sanding, polishing and certain incantations involving goat-leggings and scotch I achieved a great seal of the HP seat and volcano orifice. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Oh well, so much for the opportunity of cannibalizing another perfectly good regulator. And making it into another Frankenstein. :wink:

Congratulations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom