Advanced diving from Playa Del Carmen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoc1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ve been diving Cozumel and the cenotes for years and love both. I’ve done a few dives from playa itself – Tortugas, Mama Via. Does anyone recommend a really good advanced dive from playa? Or just a dive that you consider awesome?

I'm not aware of any advanced diving around Playa. You want Cozumel or Xcalak.

I’ve been diving Cozumel and the cenotes for years and love both. I’ve done a few dives from playa itself – Tortugas, Mama Via. Does anyone recommend a really good advanced dive from playa? Or just a dive that you consider awesome?
I've never dove Playa, but south of Puerto Morelos towards Playa are some dives that you need to be on your game for. Hard to get people to take you there.

The nicest dives I've ever done from there have been on Jardine's Reef, which is about 30' deep. Loads of life, and the biggest moray I've ever seen. If you're going to continue diving in the area though, just get a cave cert so you can see the really beautiful spots.

You could always dive Tortugas a little deeper than most normaly due since it gently slopes but it looks the same at 90' as it does at 60. There is also Pared Verde reef a little north of town. The wall starts around 80', not really much of a wall though, the sand is at 90-95' Depends on what you consider advanced.

The Mama Viña is a very nice wreck dive--a shrimp trawler, sits on the sand at 100 feet. Lots of current the first time, a little current the second time, so its advanced in rec diving terms. . We dove with Dressel out of Toucan and asked to do this wreck twice. Lots of marine life: Moray eel, loggerhead turtles, and big schools of amberjack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom