BP/WING...recommendations for travel and local use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_anak_pulau_

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm starting to slowly purchase my own gears. Have just bought a set of regs and now looking into BCD.

I'm just over 5ft, have petite frame and as you can imagine, yes I struggle a bit when being wrapped around in a jacket BCD. Hence I thought BPW would be the way to go. I would definitely hire one to try out before committing just to make sure nothing's really bothering me with the BPW system. I dive in temperate water, with 12L steel tanks and 6kg weight due to the layers I wear (yes, need to get a decent 7mm wetsuit too)

A friend of mine got the new Scubapro Hydros, looks good, serves the purpose as a black inflation...but price is a bit steep. What I really do like about it is the quick drying feature due to the lack of fabric.

Hence I was hoping to gather some opinions from fellow divers here, are there any wing BCD that wouldn't take more than overnight to dry. This could be subjective, so let's be more specific for the purpose of discussion; in an airconditioned room.

I sort of like the look of Xdeep Ghost. Someone else have recommend Diverite setup and HOG.

Also open to getting a hybrid, or other back inflate travel BC such as Oceanic Biolite.

Cheers all, happy diving!

Hi
This topic has been done many times.
Just get a plate, alu or steel, a one piece harness (you can buy it already set or you can easily buy the parts and make it yourself), 2 tank straps and a simple single wing.
Go to DGX and look for the cheapest package they have to get an idea.
DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®
you can also buy 2nd hand
Scubapro, xdeep,....too expensive for nothing more...

Everything said above is good, but I am not certain there is much value in paying for a pre-assembled backplate and harness.

Setting up the harness can kind of be a pain in the arse, even if one has done it a few times. Whether one buys pre-assembled or not the harness will need to be adjusted to the diver...the magnitude of effort for this is just slightly less than the magnitude of effort to just set up the harness from scratch.

Doing the set up oneself helps one become more familiar with their gear, and will it won't make the adjustment process less of a pain, it will make it less intimidating.

OP, I think the only BP/W systems you will run into issues with drying are those with padded harnesses, and those should be fairly dry the next day.

If you are truly concerned about drying times then perhaps consider a hogarthian style harness made from a single length of webbing threaded through the plate.

Give the staff at Dive Gear Express a call, they often provide great advice, and their prices are good too.

-Z

Depending on whether you're short- or long-waisted, a short BP might fit you better. Halcyon does a short one, I'm not sure who else. I'd recommend a standard SS plate, no matter from who. I don't think any wing is going to be more than a little damp after having overnight, so it isn't something I'd worry about.

Venturing into this on your own is possible but it sounds like you may appreciate some skilled assistance.

Regarding equipment, the Deep 6 wing and cam bands are coated and dry nearly instantly. Plus it’s a smaller wing which will make it easier to fit your petite torso while still providing sufficient lift.

You might check with Aquí Water Sports (www.getaqui.com) for the skilled assistance and insight.

With some coordination and scheduling, both owners, @LandonL and Ryan Custureri, can help you through a video conference to properly size your Deep 6 BP/W. I believe you will find the session exceptionally insightful.

@LandonL is one of the owners of Deep 6, too.

@Zef makes a great point....I’m also a fan of Dive Gear Express.

Keith is a great guy and has always provided me durable advice when I’ve been halfway around the world and seven time zones removed.

Following up to my first post, my wife is petite (5”) and wants a BP/W. As personal testimony, she’s turning to Aquí to get properly fitted.

My wife is 5'2"...we just got her set up with a small plate made by SubGravity....highly recommend it.

Did the harness ourselves....the big hassle is getting the shoulder straps the correct length, but once that is done, everything else is gravy, especially since she has a set of Dive Rite QB pockets, their position sort of dictates where the left and right waist D-rings sit.

Mind you, the hassle about the shoulder straps is that my wife had to put her wetsuit on to repeatedly test fit the adjustments. Up until the past few days it has been rather hot here in Belgium, so not too comfortable to sit/stand around with a 5mm wetsuit on in the living room...I had to work fast, but accurately, in order to get things adjusted before my wife started to see me as the enemy.

-Z

No idea what thiis Aqui is but come on, you don't need special asistance to set a harness properly. Info everywhere...

Back
Top Bottom