SSI Dive Log Tracking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are 3 ways to have verified dives in order to qualify for various diver levels.

1 - when you create your profile you are asked to enter the number of dives you have done. pls enter a true number. if later on you want to edit that number, you can ask your local ssi shop to edit it for you. this of course would mean the shop would have to accept any proof you have that the dives were legit before they should do the edit.

2 - you could ask your instructor or the ssi shop if they were willing to use a QR code to "sign off" on any dives. again, they would have to accept the proof you have that the dives are legit.

3 - if you take a course, your shop will have to fill out the info required in order for you to receive that certification. when they do this, they need to enter your total number of dives. if they are confident in the number you tell them, they can enter whatever number you want.

i will say that i personally would only considering "verifying" another divers dives if i was 100% confident it was a legit number. you would be surprised (or maybe not) how many people would lie about the true number just to get a piece of plastic.

hope this helps !!

Pro, as in Master Diver? Or the actual instructor courses?

SSI Master Diver is not a "Pro" level. It is different than Dive Master. SSI's first pro level is Dive Guide

Pro, as in Master Diver? Or the actual instructor courses?

Master Diver is 50 dives and 5 specialties including Stress and Rescue.

Pro begins at Dive Guide. Dive Master is a Dive Guide who has taken Science of Diving. It sets you on the road to instructor courses: To take AI, you have to be a DM, to take the ITC, you have to have done AI, etc.

Master Diver is 50 dives and 5 specialties including Stress and Rescue.

Pro begins at Dive Guide. Dive Master is a Dive Guide who has taken Science of Diving. It sets you on the road to instructor courses: To take AI, you have to be a DM, to take the ITC, you have to have done AI, etc.

AI? ITC?

Assistant Instructor - Next step after Dive Guide/DM - Allows you to teach a few classes on your own, like buoyancy, scuba skills update, and try scuba.
Instructor Training Course - Certifies you as a full Open Water instructor.
Sorry.

No worries. As I've started this hobby, I think I've learned that scuba people have more acronyms and initialism than any other hobby I have.

No worries. As I've started this hobby, I think I've learned that scuba people have more acronyms and initialism than any other hobby I have.
I'm an Air Force vet, a chemist (DNA and genetics), and a divemaster. Let me tell you about acronyms...

there are 3 ways to have verified dives in order to qualify for various diver levels.

1 - when you create your profile you are asked to enter the number of dives you have done. pls enter a true number. if later on you want to edit that number, you can ask your local ssi shop to edit it for you. this of course would mean the shop would have to accept any proof you have that the dives were legit before they should do the edit.

2 - you could ask your instructor or the ssi shop if they were willing to use a QR code to "sign off" on any dives. again, they would have to accept the proof you have that the dives are legit.

3 - if you take a course, your shop will have to fill out the info required in order for you to receive that certification. when they do this, they need to enter your total number of dives. if they are confident in the number you tell them, they can enter whatever number you want.

i will say that i personally would only considering "verifying" another divers dives if i was 100% confident it was a legit number. you would be surprised (or maybe not) how many people would lie about the true number just to get a piece of plastic.

hope this helps !!

Basically this...my LDS verifies my number of dives after each specialty.

My experience is this isn't a big deal, even if you feel the need to verify your dives or get them verified for "ranking" purposes. You can do your dives with anyone you want. My LDS has their QR code up on the wall behind the counter in their shop. You tell them you're there to verify and they trust that your dives are legit, so they let you scan the QR code and be on your way. Too easy. It's actually a step more than the old paper log book as far as "proof" goes. Theoretically, in the "old days" you could sit down and make up dives all day long and write them down in your log book. "A hundred dives? No problem! Look, I even used different colored pens every so often to make it look legit!" Haha!

you can create the dives on the SSI logbook, whenever o wherever you did them. the problem is to validate them. you need the qr code of a diving center. You can do this in two ways. The legit one is to ask permission to the shop owner to scan the qr code to validate you dives, explaining them this problem. You only need to scan the qr code.

I validate via the qr code the dives I did years ago, when the qr code thing didn't exist. it's common sense!

by the way, to learn the Advanced, you need also a number of SSI specialty courses, not only the 24 dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom