ok... you guys won... I'm officially a BP/W convert!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've always been a minimalist type of diver when it comes to gear and since I travel to dive, that type of setup just makes sense too. My preferred BCD for warm water diving for a the last couple of years or so has been the Aqualung Outlaw. I decided to try the BP/W setup because I wanted something that could handle a bit more added lead if I switch to a 5mm on a colder day. The outlaw was great, but with 20lbs of lead on a 25lb bladder, it's pushing it's limits. So I purchased from DGE a Mares XR setup up with aluminum backplate, one piece harness, 34 lb bladder and two 8lb waist mounted weight pockets. I also added two 5lb trim weight pockets I had in my gear box to the top cam band.

And unfortunately like most, I had at least 2 dive trips that were cancelled so the new gear sat unused.

Well, I had some time yesterday and a pool all to myself, so I rented some air and tried everything out. And now I will never go back to a BCD again. It's really like it just becomes a part of you so don't even know it's on. I thought the crotch strap would be annoying in just board shorts, but you just don't feel it all. I wore just a neoprene vest, with no padding on the harness or plate and it was the most comfortable setup I've worn.... And nothing moved or shifted no matter which way my head was pointing. So drink the kool aid ladies and gentlemen... it won't disappoint!

I've always been a minimalist type of diver when it comes to gear and since I travel to dive, that type of setup just makes sense too. My preferred BCD for warm water diving for a the last couple of years or so has been the Aqualung Outlaw. I decided to try the BP/W setup because I wanted something that could handle a bit more added lead if I switch to a 5mm on a colder day. The outlaw was great, but with 20lbs of lead on a 25lb bladder, it's pushing it's limits. So I purchased from DGE a Mares XR setup up with aluminum backplate, one piece harness, 34 lb bladder and two 8lb waist mounted weight pockets. I also added two 5lb trim weight pockets I had in my gear box to the top cam band.

And unfortunately like most, I had at least 2 dive trips that were cancelled so the new gear sat unused.

Well, I had some time yesterday and a pool all to myself, so I rented some air and tried everything out. And now I will never go back to a BCD again. It's really like it just becomes a part of you so don't even know it's on. I thought the crotch strap would be annoying in just board shorts, but you just don't feel it all. I wore just a neoprene vest, with no padding on the harness or plate and it was the most comfortable setup I've worn.... And nothing moved or shifted no matter which way my head was pointing. So drink the kool aid ladies and gentlemen... it won't disappoint!
For me, the tipping point was when I bought a lightweight travel BCD, a Cressi Air Travel. On paper, it seemed ideal. It was a back inflate. It had integrated weights that clipped securely into place yet released easily if needed. Best of all, it was less that 5.5 pounds so a great BCD for traveling with. It had one glaring fault though, it was about 4lbs positively buoyant. The 1st 4lbs of lead that I had to add was simply to get the BCD neutral, then I had to add weight to get me neutral. By switching to an aluminum plate BP&W, it was basically neutral so I was able to drop 4lbs of lead immediately.

For me, the choice was logical.

Nice to see another convert - I learned with a traditional BCD which had a tendency to ride up (the cummerbund was next to useless as it ended up way to high due to my height) but my instructor was in a BP&W. Seeing how easily he moved and how little there was by way of constrictions made me a convert.

Add to that the weight considerations of a jacket vs BP&W (I could take weight off my belt) and it became a no brainer.

I recently switched from a back-inflate to a BP/W. I am generally happy, but there are trade-offs.

I appreciate that I was able to drop several pounds of total weight.

But I prefer the snug fit of an adjustable H-harness. When I tilt to the side, I dont like how the BP slides around a bit. Not a safety issue, just a question of convenience and preference.

I suppose I could buy an H-harness for the BP/W, but all the H-harnesses I see have extra padding, which I dont want, and defeats the "less lead" advantage. I wish someone sold a relatively cheap (>$100) H-harness with no padding.

I recently switched from a back-inflate to a BP/W. I am generally happy, but there are trade-offs.

But I prefer the snug fit of an adjustable H-harness. When I tilt to the side, I dont like how the BP slides around a bit. Not a safety issue, just a question of convenience and preference.

I suppose I could buy an H-harness for the BP/W, but all the H-harnesses I see have extra padding, which I dont want, and defeats the "less lead" advantage. I wish someone sold a relatively cheap (>$100) H-harness with no padding.
I have my BP/W rigged so that I can pull it snug. At the bottom, add a loop of webbing & a D-Ring then thread your webbing through the D-Ring. This will allow you to effortlessly loosen or tighten it as much as you want in almost no time at all.

_DSC1241.jpeg
_DSC2284.jpg

I wish someone sold a relatively cheap (>$100) H-harness with no padding.

buy the hardware and make your own. I have a few of them. Not difficult at all.

Piranha Dive Manufacturing and Northeast Scuba Supply have what you need (maybe others).

Choices can put you well under $100... and probably half that. I use tri-glides instead of sewing, and it isn't any problem at all. I even have my own version of the "cinch" harness in an H-style.

I have my BP/W rigged so that I can pull it snug. At the bottom, add a loop of webbing & a D-Ring then thread your webbing through the D-Ring. This will allow you to effortlessly loosen or tighten it as much as you want in almost no time at all.

I have used either a large opening tri-glide or a rectangular ring.... slides real nicely with them.

I was very surprised that even though I could insert my fist behind each shoulder strap, there was never any movement of the bp/w when I changed position in the water. My previous bcd had a soft back plate so I was used to a slight rolling of the tank. Obviously that was not the case here. But what was really great is that I never felt any added pressure from either the should straps, crotch strap, or waist belt as I went inverted, on my back, on my side, etc.

I have used either a large opening tri-glide or a rectangular ring.... slides real nicely with them.

I saw this on a mark from simply scuba video... I can't use it if i want to use my integrated weight pockets, but I thought about it as an option. It's supposedly good for loosening one shoulder strap to take your gear off on the boat.
agir-harpa.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom