GoPro Green Water Footage no Blue on Histogram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I am currently using a GoPro hero session. Yes it is old. No, I do not have a filter for it. I am not sure they even make one for the underwater case.

Anyways, I have been playing with color correction in hitfilm (It runs on my computer unlike the free resolve). I am still learning how to color correct but some footage I was working with today was different than the other footage. It had very little blue represented in the histogram. What causes this in gopro? The other footage from the same dive did not have the same issue.

I was using GoPro's Protune. Auto White Balance, Low sharpness, Flat color profile, 60 fps @ 1080p.

vlcsnap-2020-08-25-19h23m34s786.png

This was the best I could do.

vlcsnap-2020-08-25-20h11m44s844.png

If you can point me to some reading material or youtube video's so I can better understand color correction, that would be great. Currently, I mostly use curves to adjust color which did not go well with this video. I played with changing the color balance in hitfilm to try to bring up the blues a bit but I think I am missing something. Using the color wheel allowed me to bring in more blues but that really just caused other issues.

I guess what I am looking for is an explanation of why sometimes the GoPro pulls in fewer blues in some clips compared to others even if depth and water characteristics hadn't really changed. Is this due to the auto-white balance? Would it be easier to correct the footage if the white balance is constant?

Buy a magenta thin film sheet and put it inside the case in front of the lens. Or you can probably get a magenta filter to fit the outside of the case.

Buy a magenta thin-film sheet and put it inside the case in front of the lens. Or you can probably get a magenta filter to fit the outside of the case.

I will see if I can find a thin film sheet. Based on what I could find on the web, they did not make filters to fit the waterproof housing. They do have filters for the session without housing, but that is only good to 33 feet.

We are using Hapurs diving waterproof case for gopro hero 4 session.

I do not know how hitfilm works but typically you can raise the clipped color. In this case, your blues are there but are clipped on the low end.

I use Resolve and correct using the primary bars with offset and on rare occasions, I use the curves. In Resolve I can pick which curve I want or adjust the full color curve. Can you isolate the blue curve in hitfilm?

n this case, your blues are there but are clipped on the low end.

Do you know what causes clipped colors? As I mentioned before, my other clips did not have this from the same dive. Is it the auto white balance?

I will see if I can find a thin film sheet. Based on what I could find on the web, they did not make filters to fit the waterproof housing. They do have filters for the session without housing, but that is only good to 33 feet.

You can get the thin film filter material on Amazon - sets of 4-6 colors - for under $10. Red for salt, magenta for fresh, blue for your light and yellow for the camera and your mask for fluorescent night dives in salt. I forget what other colors are included but I don't think they were useful for diving.

The thin film may be even better, but i bought some filters for the not waterproof case and taped it over the front with clear packaging tape (it wouldnt fit inside the case), and my pictures have been 100% better!

Do you know what causes clipped colors? As I mentioned before, my other clips did not have this from the same dive. Is it the auto white balance?

They didn't clip on the same dive, at the dame depth and swimming in the same direction?

They didn't clip on the same dive, at the dame depth and swimming in the same direction?

Good point. Clips were from the same dive and very similar depth but this clip was facing a different direction and was pointing towards the surface. I didn't think about how direction could influence the color so much.

You can get the thin film filter material on Amazon - sets of 4-6 colors - for under $10. Red for salt, magenta for fresh, blue for your light and yellow for the camera and your mask for fluorescent night dives in salt. I forget what other colors are included but I don't think they were useful for diving.
Magenta also works pretty well in algae filled salt water like the Gulf of Mexico. The gulf appears green without a filter rather than blue like an ocean.

@Dubious I had some footage from an unfiltered Hero2 come out like that when diving in a large sinkhole (Hudson Grotto, Hudson, Florida USA). I wasn't able to correct it much better than you did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom