Problem trimming out with two deco tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingx

Still breathing
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a upcoming Trimix course in September so I’m practicing diving with two deco tanks. Before this I used to carry either an AL80 or AL40 for deco, which I hardly notice through the whole dive. I like the idea m carrying both tanks on my left. However, I had some trouble with my trim with both tanks on my left. I could not keep my trim because my left side was much heavier. I would rotate to my left as soon as I stoped my fins. I could also feel that the tanks were dragging my left chest d ring. I had neither of these feelings when I dove with one deco tank. I had people telling me that air in the wing would balance by itself so you don’t need to do anything but I didn’t feel this way at all. And some people told me people carrying both tanks on the left don’t carry full tanks. There is only around 160 bars in it so they’re closed to neutral. I’m quite confused about this. How do you guys keep balance when having two tanks on your left? Are they full when you start the dive? Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.

can try packing a horseshoe wing, a moveable clip weight, or running left lean, right rich.

can try packing a horseshoe wing, a moveable clip weight, or running left lean, right rich.
I did try a horseshoe wing but I didn’t really like it. I’ve seen people diving with two tanks on left with donut wings so there has to be a way to do that.

I did try a horseshoe wing but I didn’t really like it. I’ve seen people diving with two tanks on left with donut wings so there has to be a way to do that.

There is - adjust weight on your belt but if you're not carrying weight, simple physics takes over. You need to be carrying an awful lot of lights, reels and misc stuff to offset the partial weight of one tank LOL. Maybe the people you see have weight belts and are skewing weight to one side of their body......

I am away and so diving a single steel 15 and a 3l steel pony. That pony lets me take at least 2kg of lead off and I think it is heavier than a 80 and a 40. I have my torch on the right and I move a single kg of lead from my left to right.

I have found that this becomes less of a problem the more relaxed and better weighted you are. I often dive with the heavy torch but no stages, or without the torch and one stage. For sure in the past I decided a side slung steel pony was too much of a pig to want to use.

So my advice is to try RRLL, get your weight as good as you can and then move them both to the left if you really feel the need.

Even without using a horseshoe wing, it is possible to roll air in the donut bladder to the left side to offset the weight of the deco cylinders. It takes a bit of practice to find the sweet spot but it can be done.

Your options are to work on that or run LLRR and mount them like sidemount cylinders to have them streamlined. However, your instructor may not allow LLRR so you might want to check with them. Also, once you are on the course, the instructor should work with you on your trim when using two deco cylinders.

Best of success and let us know how it all works out for you.

"left lean, right rich" runs the risk of trapping the long hose. I find that with luxfers the weight issue isn't a big deal.

Even without using a horseshoe wing, it is possible to roll air in the donut bladder to the left side to offset the weight of the deco cylinders. It takes a bit of practice to find the sweet spot but it can be done.
Could you share some tips? I can move some air to the left side of the wing but when I return to trim position again, the air redistributes.

"left lean, right rich" runs the risk of trapping the long hose. I find that with luxfers the weight issue isn't a big deal.
I use luxfer for all deco tanks. But when it’s full it’s still like -4lbs per tank?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom