Got some rinse water in first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, Couv, I did the above. No signs of water or issues, at least to my untrained eye. Checked IP and it held 138-140 for about ten minutes. Let me know if that time is adequate. Thanks.

Yep-sounds good if it was steady and repeatable.

Thank you, Couv. Yes, it is something like the one on the left.

I suspect the water was in the dust cap before you installed it. I have no idea why SP would design a cap that holds water.

IMG_20200825_233032_1.jpg
IMG_20200825_233151.jpg
The cap was probably a dual use cap. That has a plastic insert for yoke regs that minimizes captured volume and seals against the yoke retainer. You remove the insert to use it with a DIN connector, where it now slips deeper around the threads.
In this case, the insert may have been missing, and you indeed then have a possible capful of water.

Little field tip for when you do accidentally soak your reg: take the little shrader valve out the inflator hose (you need a special screwdriver for that) and put an air gun on a different set of regs. Blow the water out the air inlet by blowing air in via the inflator hose. This way, the water doesn't travel through the regs too far. Don't forget to put the valve back when done.
When in doubt, have it serviced anyway.

View attachment 607407 View attachment 607408 The cap was probably a dual use cap. That has a plastic insert for yoke regs that minimizes captured volume and seals against the yoke retainer. You remove the insert to use it with a DIN connector, where it now slips deeper around the threads.
In this case, the insert may have been missing, and you indeed then have a possible capful of water.

Thanks. I learn something every day. So does one reverse the insert so that it fits into a conical shaped filter?

Thanks. I learn something every day. So does one reverse the insert so that it fits into a conical shaped filter?
I think it only fits inside that cap one way. Those two options are all you get. I still don't like how much room there is inside the gray yoke version.

I suspect the water was in the dust cap before you installed it. I have no idea why SP would design a cap that holds water.

Actually I used my shirt tail to carefully dry any seawater out of the cap. So the water around the orifice may have come in through the cap, or possibly through the second stages. Not sure--this is a first.

I think it only fits inside that cap one way. Those two options are all you get. I still don't like how much room there is inside the gray yoke version.
Agree-makes no sense at all. Hard rubber caps for me.

Actually I used my shirt tail to carefully dry any seawater out of the cap.

That's good news-no salt water.
Not sure--this is a first.
Again, I say ditch that cap, but before you toss it have a detailed look at it to see if there is something obviously wrong with it. I would still be interested to know. BTW does your cap have the insert like @rsingler pictured?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom