Regulator Kicked Out of Mouth by New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In many parts of the world, new drivers have to display a sign with a big "L" (for Learner) on the back of the car. Maybe diving should consider the same.... :)

u
Maybe a uniform of sorts. In many cases, they are easy to spot. Yellow Zoop computer on the wrist, split fins, fancy snorkel with valves, etc., regs configured for secondary donate, split fins, jacket BC, rental tank. Regulator and console dangling, etc.

I don't do a whole lot of charter or group dives, but if I see any of those, it will alert me that this might be a new diver. Not 100% fool-proof, but if I see any of those, I might log that mentally as this is probably a new diver.

Conversely, if I see a diver with a DIN reg, streamlined rig, SW computer on the wrist, bolt snaps securing accessories, etc. it's probably likely that they've done a few dives.

Or, maybe we can petition the agencies to teach the "Learner" hand signal. Diver forms L with index and thumb of right hand and holds to their head. Or maybe the veteran divers use this to motion toward the learner to alert other divers. :wink:

Maybe a uniform of sorts. In many cases, they are easy to spot. Yellow Zoop computer on the wrist, split fins, fancy snorkel with valves, etc., regs configured for secondary donate, split fins, jacket BC, rental tank. Regulator and console dangling, etc.

I don't do a whole lot of charter or group dives, but if I see any of those, it will alert me that this might be a new diver. Not 100% fool-proof, but if I see any of those, I might log that mentally as this is probably a new diver.

Conversely, if I see a diver with a DIN reg, streamlined rig, SW computer on the wrist, bolt snaps securing accessories, etc. it's probably likely that they've done a few dives.

Or, maybe we can petition the agencies to teach the "Learner" hand signal. Diver forms L with index and thumb of right hand and holds to their head. Or maybe the veteran divers use this to motion toward the learner to alert other divers. :wink:
That’s the sign for Loser here :)

Loser (hand gesture) - Wikipedia

Pretty sure that was the joke. That said, it might be difficult to not be that “loser” given the instruction often delivered to new divers, unless one happens to nerd out and live on SB for a while...

Earlier in the month I had mine swatted out by a newer diver who still swims with his hands... we were in tight formation as I was leading a group through bad vis (that they caused) back from a feature tour of our local training site. One of the reasons I use my necklace on fun or tour dives.

We had a chat after about hand swimming, air consumption and getting trim in order. Just an opportunity for them to continue to develop as divers... and for me to sell a PBB course or two for the LDS :wink:

The reason why I use a necklace when I'm not teaching is for the simple fact of getting my regulator kicked out of my mouth. It has happened way too many times to count, to be honest. There are too many people who think buddy teams should be inches away from each other or they need to follow the DM like an ant on there back, which both cause issues. You normally see this with people who do not have as much experience with buoyancy or they are new divers. An issue I see a lot in the diving industry is that most new divers are not told what boat etiquette and diving etiquette is. Yes, they are told about not messing with the environment and touching stuff but, it is shocking how people do not realize spreading all their gear over the boat is rude and annoying. Blinding people with their flashlights or touching you're gear when they do no ask (unless they are helping you obviously.) Another one is being to close to you're buddy, I know someone will respond with "what if they are out of air or get into a situation." Well, most situations in diving are preventable. Dive within you're PP02, monitor your gas, do not overexert yourself, and etc.

I had my regulator knocked out when another diver wanted to push by, literally, and take video of a seahorse the DM just pointed out. The DM pointed to it, I was the closest and started to move in for a photo. The next thing I knew, there was a hand on my shoulder, pushing me back, and a fin in my face, which knocked the reg out. After that, I just let this diver have the first opportunity at anything we saw and I came in after, which allowed me to take my time and there would be no surprises. Unfortunately, a few times, he did spook the subject and I missed out. :/

I'll second it not being an unusual occurrence unfortunately. While many are "oops sorry" moments, there are a share of "i don't know what I am doing but don't care" moments too.

It has to do with experience but a lot has to do with their buoyancy and not being properly weighted. When I realized what properly weighted meant in terms of ease of movement, it really made a big difference in moving around and not floating into stuff. You're not sinking to the reef and needing lots of effort to move around. Otherwise, you're up and down and up and down. While you're bumping into things below you, then you trying to adjust air in the BC, then too much, then too little: bounce, boink, float, sink...then they pull out the camera...

On one liveaboard trip, there was an older lady who spent the entire dive, for every dive, with her hand on her reg. I don't think she was scared of people kicking it out but of it simply falling out while swimming. Maybe she was at the point of no teeth and didn't trust herself. But she was there for every dive so can't fault her. I never got a chance to see whether the reg holder arm was like Popeyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom